Wednesday 13 November 2013

Me me me... and eggs

Not a great picture, really, but the chickadees were being very uncooperative.

----------

I've been watching the news a fair bit lately, just so you know. I'm aware of Toronto's "crackhead" mayor (as he's been referred to by some US media). I'm sorrowed by the destruction in the Philippines. I know that bad things -- and a few good things -- are happening in a big way all over the world. So what am I going to blather about?

I'm kinda pissed that I broke the yolk of my egg this morning.

Yep. That's what's on my mind.

Well, ok, and I also have a headache that I just can't seem to shake, but I'm not going to make a whole post out of that. You're welcome.

I'll admit, I'm kind of funny with eggs. I was never much of an egg fan when I was a kid (scrambled eggs with cheese being an exception), and some of that's stuck with me. I think it's partly a texture thing, especially because texture is a thing with me at the best of times. I don't like the slightest hint of a jelly-ish white, for example. I wouldn't eat a poached egg on a bet, and the thought of a three-minute egg kind of squicks me. A boiled egg needs to be hard-boiled, even if it means that you don't have the pleasure of dipping your toast soldiers into the yolk.

Is that a pleasure, by the way? I wouldn't know, because I've never tried it. How do you get past the feeling of rawness that so much runny yolk gives you?

So does that mean that I have to cook the hell out of all of my eggs before I'm comfortable eating them? No, not really. Boiled eggs need to be hard, yes, but scrambled eggs shouldn't be rubbery. Oh, and it's a rule, by the way, that if you cook a ham for dinner you need to have scrambled eggs with ham and cheese (and worcestershire sauce and dry mustard) for lunch the next day. As for fried eggs, if it's going to be on toast it'll be over easy... and yes, there's allowed to be a tiny bit of runny yolk in between the two cooked sides. I don't know why it's allowable then and not for a boiled egg, but there you go.

Incidentally, I watch a fair amount of Food Network stuff, and I'd like to know who decided that it's the thing to put a poached egg (ick) on top of a meal or in a burger to have the thrill of the uncooked yolk (ick) burst all over everything. Am I missing something there?

Anyway, I didn't get any runny yolk at all this morning since I managed to break the bloody thing (well, not literally bloody) when I was cracking my egg into the pan. It made me grumpy, and I'm convinced that it made my headache worse.

Yes, a burst egg yolk.



I hate to bring up an internet phrase that should have worn out its welcome by now, but... yeah, first world problems. Back to work for me, now.

----------

Oh, one last thing. Today's tea: Second Flush Darjeeling. LOVE this. I think I've finally found my favourite basic tea again. I missed you, darjeeling.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails