Monday 30 September 2013

Bedraggled

The cob in today's pointless photo is convenient for the post title, no? Although he looks jauntily unconcerned about the state of his hair, you must admit. This corn, by the way, was local. As in out of the garden local. We're not in a real corn area here, so for Dad to have corn at all is something, even if the cobs are small.

Anyway.

The hair that the title really refers to is mine. I spent the morning outside in the rain with a bunch of kids, and when I got back my hair was wet enough that I took off my barrette and combed the hair out to give it a chance to dry.

I never wear my hair loose at work. Ever. To the point where people were doing double-takes as they passed the office because they didn't recognise me.

I don't wear my hair loose (it's tied up again now, by the way) because it would drive me nuts. I don't even wear my hair loose at home. The minute it's dry enough after a shower, it gets barretted or elasticked. I even wear it that way at night, because if I don't it gets tangled under my armpit and wakes me up because I can't move my head.

That's true, you know. Not even an exaggeration.

Let's face it; my hair's too damned long. I never meant for it to be this long. I've never had it this long. My once-a-year haircut was forgotten a couple of years ago, though, and now I have way too much hair. It's easy to have that happen when you tie your hair back every day, however. Out of sight really does equal out of mind, and all of a sudden your stupid hair is past the midway point on your back.

It needs to come off.

It needs to come off, and the funny thing is that when I get around to do anything about it I can just hear the panicked are you suuure? that I'll get from the stylist. Look, I know some people prize their hair like they were Samson or something. I know it, but it doesn't mean that I get it. It's hair. It grows. Mine grows fast. Cut it off, please.

The sad thing is, I can't even really donate it or anything. No one wants to try to make a wig out of baby fine, greying hair. Or at least no one should want to...



Back to work for me now. It's a busy rest of the week, so there may or may not be posts.

Later.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails