Saturday 25 January 2014

Blue snow

I recently ordered a polarising filter for my new lens (from the internet home of ALL THINGS, yes. I had a gift certificate) and since the order arrived on Friday I thought I'd take the thing for a spin around my dad's yard.

I love having a polariser -- it was a regular thing for me to play with on my old Minolta film camera. For whatever reason I still haven't gotten around to buying any filters at all for my kit lens (I will. Eventually), but I figured that it might be nice to have at least a polariser for the wide angle.

So as I said, I took it out in the yard yesterday mid-afternoonish, and immediately realised a couple of things:

1. It's still January even though the weather hasn't been behaving that way, and the sun's starting to get low that time of day.

2. It's winter, and snow is boring.

Yep. Once you've used the filter to play around a little with the colour of the sky, all a person's left with in the winter is brown and white. No brightening the greens, no deepening the reds; it's all just stupid bloody white.

Hmm. Maybe bloody wasn't the best word to use there.

Anyway.

My solution? I rotated the filter until all the whites were blue.

Yep. The blue you see above is the way it came off the camera and I did it on purpose. I took a fair number of shots that way, actually. There's an awful lot of blue snow on my nerdstick, which means that there will be an awful lot of blue snow on the blog in the next while.

I'm sure you'll get used to it.

What you're seeing above is a drip off of the shed roof. Did I mention that it's January and things are melting all over the place? Sounds like we'll be paying for it with a couple of days of coldness soon, but even then they're predicting things to be back up to the minus single digits by next week. This has been such a weird winter. Tons of snow (there was yet another roof collapse yesterday. This time the curling rink at Drayton Valley), a warm January... why do I fear July now?

Incidentally, despite what early reports of the Sylvan Lake arena collapse said, it turns out that not only was the zamboni driver still in the building when it collapsed, he was still on the zamboni and had to duck under the steering wheel to avoid being hit. He thought he was going to die, but still managed to have the presence of mind to turn off the gas when he saw electrical sparking. Can you imagine? I definitely can't.

Anyway, again. Lunch time now. New doodle up on the other blog, for anyone interested. Yeah, I'm trying to get back into the swing of more regular posting, but you'll notice that the pens haven't come out yet in the new year. I still get shaky too quickly if I tense up. Stupid wrist. Heal already, would you?



Oh, on one other note there's probably no me on the internet for the next couple of days. I'm a bit high on my work hours as of last week, so I'll probably take a day off so I'm not over for the pay period.

Erm... you needed to know that.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails