Friday 28 March 2014

I'm trying, I'm trying

To find something to write about that isn't all whingy about snow, that is.

It's kind of hard, seeing as I'm all whingy about snow.

Yep.

It's pretty, I guess.

Pretty stupid to have so much of it on the ground at the end of March, that is.



I'm not succeeding in this not being whingy thing, am I? Ah well. Let's talk about something else, then.

Um...

Ok, how about big stupid corporations killing a really good thing? In this case, I'm thinking about Television Without Pity, which is outta here on April 4th. I'm not going to include a direct link to the site itself; it's findable (for the moment) if you're in the mood to find it.

I used to hang out quite a bit on TWoP, back a few years. The recaps were fantastically snarky, the forums were fun, and the atmosphere was great. They had some wonderful writers, too; a few of whom I still follow on twitter as they've moved on to other things (my personal favourites right now? Heather and Jessica over at Go Fug Yourself. I think they might've chosen a different name, however, if they'd known that as the site became more popular they'd start finding themselves known as the Fug Girls). I stopped visiting TWoP about six years ago, though.

So what happened?

Cue Big Stupid Corporation.

Bravo Media took over, and the fun gradually started disappearing. First the original creators left, then the new forum moderators brought in some clueless and arbitrary rules that took away the feel of the place, then my favourite recappers started going one by one. Some of them, I'm sure, were just moving on, but when more than a couple do that you have to think that the working situation has changed. Big Stupid Corporation didn't get what we enjoyed about TWoP, as far as I was concerned.

So I left, too.

Well, now the site's closing down, and from what that Vulture article I linked to says it sounds like NBCUniversal isn't even going to keep the archives up. It won't affect me because I haven't been there for so long anyway, but it really seems like a waste of good writing and good discussions.

Bravo, BSC.

----------

Before I go, I should explain the bunny. My mother bought that for me on a whim back in 1999. She died a couple of weeks later.

It's her birthday today.

Miss you, Mom.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails