Saturday 29 March 2014

Pointless stuffed animal of the day, less symbolic edition:

This, boys and girls, is what I suppose a collector would call vintage. According to a quick eBay search it's from 1983, which would be about right.

I was far too old for the whole Care Bear thing when they first appeared, and frankly I thought they were awful. So horribly saccharine. All sweetness and light and bubblegum or whatever. Yes, I knew I wasn't the intended market, but they still really annoyed me. I think I got Grumpy Bear here in protest. Everyone else was caring and sharing blah blah blah, but Grumpy Bear was a storm cloud, ferWhomever'ssake. A storm cloud with hearts, true, but still. You gotta love the odd bear out, right?

This bear became somewhat collectible (not RARE!!! as some of the eBay sellers would have you believe) because -- if I remember right, and it's very possible that I don't remember right -- the manufacturer decided that it looked too grumpy. Yep, a Grumpy Bear that was too grumpy. Whatever. Anyway, they replaced it with a version that to my mind looks more morose than anything, and a little later (I think. I don't follow this stuff at all), one that seems pretty pissed off to me.

Mine's just grumpy. And unplayed with, since he was only ever just a bedroom decoration. Free to good home, if anyone wants it. Well, maybe I'd ask you to pay shipping or something. I'm serious here, by the way. E-mail me or leave a comment if you want 'im.

Ikea chair not included.

----------

So why would I want to give away the bear? To be honest, I have lots of stuff that I'm kind of tired of having. I've mentioned that my mother was a collector of many things, and for the first twenty-five years or so of my life so was I. I'm not anymore, but the problem with losing your taste for collecting is that the collections don't just disappear. I've given away a lot of my stuffed animal collection over the years, but I still have far too many hanging around. I have a collection of pin-on badges that, with I think two exceptions, anyone would be welcome to grab the whole corkboard's worth and take home immediately. I gave Wheat my collection of puzzle keychains from the Rubik's Cube era in case his kids would be interested (all of the big popular puzzle toys, but in miniature. They were a thing back then. I even had the Missing Link in that lot). I gave my father one of my porcelain dolls for a Legion silent auction (sadly, just a drop in the bucket there), and fully intend to give more. Heck, I even give books away, and back in the day the thought would have horrified me.

So what changed?

I don't really know.

I think I just got tired of stuff. Not that I'm becoming ascetic by any means, but it doesn't really appeal to me anymore to have stuff just to have stuff. Maybe I need my stuff to be more useful as I get older? I dunno. I just remember that when I first moved out on my own I had this big mental list of all the things I'd have to save if, for example, the building was on fire. Now? Well, I'd make sure I had clothes on and grab my purse. Oh, and my birth certificate if I had time. Maaaybe one or two other small things, but only if the situation wasn't dire. Everything else could go.

It's just stuff.

All right, so if you came to my place and said, in a friendly non-robbery type way, that you would like some of my stuff, is anything off-limits? Well, of course. I'm not that generous. Assuming that we're leaving me the essentials, there are a couple of family heirlooms that I'd like to keep around. Nothing of real value -- only for memories. A few pieces of jewellery; some because they're family items and some because they just make me happy to wear. Oh, and I'd probably be sad if you wanted my art stuff because then I'd have to buy more. That's probably the only thing that I still actively collect... but does it count as collecting if I'm getting it to use it? Yeah, probably. Hands off my moleskines and pencils anyway, though, ok?

And it would be nice if I could have a few things to read. I don't need all of what I have, though, so you can take some of the library.





Aaanyway. Another wordy post, but I guess I've been in that mood. No me tomorrow, though, so I hope you took your time reading this.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

At one time we probably owned around 300 beanie babies. Even collected some in England. Princess Diana bear for one. But slowly we have reduced the collection. Now only have one plastic tub full and a few strays on dressers. I still have favorites. I have many dolls, some my own and some inherited from my Mother's collection. Some things like my parents wedding bands I will never part with and wonder who would want them. So, yeah, we have been pack rats at times. But we are trying to reduce the load. ha ha. Moving does that. Each time you move you realize how much junk you own. It helps that I can palm off some of my stuffed animals on the granddaughter on each visit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails