Saturday 15 August 2015

So I have a d.

I also have a mess on my desk. I really need to do something about that.

So yeah, I have a d. And why do I have a d? Well, the short answer is that they're doing a big renovation -- a redesign, really -- of our permanent displays here at work. And that means destruction.

And that means, in the world of museums (of which we're sort of a part), that any of the old displays that aren't being incorporated into the new one are first offered to other area museums, then to the staff, and then... well, I imagine that you can guess.

When it came time for the staff to have their picks I decided that I didn't want anything. I have a small apartment, I'm already trying to get rid of clutter, and the plain fact is that display stuff is usually far bigger than you think it is. I might have wanted a small part of one of the displays that I helped work on if they weren't going to save it, but they're saving it so I'm ok with that.

I was away for a few days because I managed to pick up a bug that's been going around, and when I got in today there was a d on my desk. It's from the main title of the old display. I can't remember if I said anything about wanting it (I might have, jokingly), but somebody took pity on my lack of souvenirs and now I have a d.

And what will I do with my d? Hang it on the wall, of course. What else do you do with a d when you go by Dee most of the time? I'll hang it on the wall, and if people ask about it I'll say that it's to remind me of who I am.

Which it is in a way, I suppose. You can't work in the same job for so long and not have it affect who you are at least a little.



Besides, it's my d.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails