Monday 18 April 2016

Bags

Ok, ladies, I want to ask you something. And no, this isn't meant to be a Jerry Seinfeld imitation.

What's the deal with women and handbags?

I could have also said what's the deal with women and shoes, since the stereotypical portrayal of both generally has me feeling like I'm not actually a woman, somehow.

In this culture, anyway.

Shoes? I care if they fit, if they're comfortable, and if they won't bother my ankle. That's it. I'm completely not the market for those internet cheap shoe sites, because I wouldn't care if your cute shoes (boots, sandals, slippers, whatever) are only thirty dollars a pair. Do they fit, are they comfortable, do they bother my ankle? No? Then I don't buy.

Same thing goes with bags. I carry a bag/purse, yes. I never pay more than $30 if I can help it, and I change them out... when they die. That's right. I don't do seasonal or cute or designer (especially not designer); I do practical. Does it fit my stuff, and can I wear it sling-style? Ok, we're good.

Recently my black leather cross-shoulder mini backpack ($24.95, on sale) tore through its poorly-designed strap (ok, I may have had a little extra weight in it, what with packing to stay at Dad's for a while after the surgery) and I found myself purseless in a place where I couldn't even temporarily grab an old bag. Um, unless one or two of Mom's are still tucked in a corner somewhere. Anyway, I didn't think of that at the time, so I tried just jamming my keys, phone, and wallet in coat pockets whenever we went somewhere.

That's a pain in the butt, you know, when you're used to carrying a bag.

Anyway (again), we went to the local trade fair a few days ago, and one of the booths was selling bags like the one you see above. Yep, I bought a Guatemalan bag at a fair that was supposed to be featuring/supporting local businesses.

Oops.

Anyway (the third), it's a nice woven cotton bag that I'm going to have to round up a pencil case or two to help organise, but at least it's a bag. I generally try to get things that are no bigger than I need so it's going to be a challenge not to stuff this one accidentally, but I'll do my best. Fashion-wise? It has no fashion, unless you count neo-hippy. Price? Within my usual. Cute?

I suppose that's in the eye of the beholder. I like it, though, and that's all that matters in the end.





It could easily hold an extra pair of shoes, I guess.

If I was into that.

----------

More yard photos tomorrow, probably, but I thought I'd leave you with this prairie crocus or pasqueflower that was blooming today in amongst the overgrown grass. That's one of my favourite shades of purple in the world, by the way.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails