Wednesday 29 May 2013

Very quick pointless photo because I'm busy

It's a couple of old coots American Coots. I took the shot this morning. I was actually out there to take pictures of something else, but the something else will probably end up on the work blog so you don't get to see it here.

Yet. Maybe you will if I don't use it for the work blog.

Coots are weird. They look like ducks but they aren't ducks (they're more closely related to Rails, if I'm remembering right. And I'd better be remembering right, because I'm not going to bother to look it up. You can if you like). They make obnoxious sounds. They have bright neon orange babies (again, look it up if you like) that are amongst the ugliest things on the lake.

An older fellow that I used to work with years ago had a recipe for cooking coots that he liked to give to his groups. He'd tell them that if you want to cook a coot get a big pot, fill it with rocks, put in enough water to cover the rocks, put the coot on top, and then put the whole thing on the fire. When the water boils off, throw away the coot and eat the rocks.

And, erm, now you know. I need to get back to work.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails