Saturday 20 July 2013

Paper dolls

Today's pointless photo is NOT A PAPER DOLL. It's what happens when I sort of like a photo and then decide while I'm editing it that it would look better as abstract art.

Ish.

No, it's not a paper doll, but this article got me thinking about paper dolls a bit. And for those who don't know what the heck I even mean by paper dolls, go read the article and come back. The links are there for a reason, you know.

Well, sometimes they are. Sometimes they're just there because I'm in the mood for some silly British comedy (or maybe this is just my way of saying I was sorry to hear about Mel Smith's death).

Anyway, paper dolls. I used to play with paper dolls (and before you start, shut up. I'm not that old. What are you kids doing on my lawn, anyway?). Reading that article got me thinking that maybe I should make some paper dolls.

Yes, really.

I'm thinking of making paper dolls.

Sigh. All the useful things I could be doing, and I'm thinking of making paper dolls. I know why, too. I'm tired of not drawing.

Not drawing, yes. Ever since I screwed up my wrist (and then, a few weeks later, re-screwed up my wrist. You know, just to keep things from getting boring) drawing just doesn't happen. I want it to happen, but every time in the past while that I've picked up a pen I get so frustrated by the shakiness that it just gets nowhere.

I'm like a seven year old who can't make her bicycle drawing look like a bicycle. Throw everything in the trash and pout for a while, right? Well, obviously that mindset's getting me far. So I'm having trouble drawing with a pen at the moment. I could draw with a pencil, right? Or paint (which, since I have the brush skills of a five year old anyway, the shaky wrist wouldn't affect so much). Or get out the gesso and make a hell of a mess in my mixed media journal. Or at the very least grab the modelling clay and start a little clay man war or something.

But instead I've been pouting. Very classy, Dee.

Maybe I should make paper dolls tonight. Or paper snowflakes. Or just swelter in my far-too-hot apartment, which is what I've mostly been doing instead of art lately.

Yeah, that'd be good.





I'll keep you posted on the status of the dolls...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails