Sunday 9 December 2012

The times they are a changing

The blast from the past you see in today's pointless (and rather awful. It was a quick one-off shot) photo are bottles from a trip to Hawaii my family took when I was in Grade 12 (so, sadly, over a quarter of a century ago now. And you kids get off of my lawn.). Times have changed in the sun since then, don't you think? Note the list of just about every kind of oil you can imagine on the Royal Hawaiian bottle -- and the thing's about half used, so my mother at least must have been slowly sizzling the whole time we were there. Also note the astonishing sun protection factor of 6 on the Bronztan. That would only be for the fair-skinned Irish amongst you in those days.

Those days being only 25 and some years ago, remember.

There's also a bottle of Royal Hawaiian after-sun lotion that I couldn't manage to hold at the same time for the picture. You had to soothe the lobster effect somehow, I guess.

Today? Well, even my daily make-up foundation has SPF 15. Changing times, indeed.

Oh, and don't even ask why we still have old suntan oil bottles around the house. I honestly couldn't tell you.

----------

I've been debating on whether to mention the other sign of changing times here since I usually like to keep things light, but I suppose that I may as well. The sad fact is that my father's place will soon become a petless household again.

I don't count the fish. Sorry ichthyophiles, but in the end you and I both know that fish are more decor than pets.

This house was always filled with pets when I was growing up, but after my brother and I left home my parents didn't replace pets as they reached the end of their lives. There was a time when this really was a petless place, and it was kind of a weird feeling. It must have eventually felt weird to my folks, too, because back in 1997 (I know the date from old vet records, in case anyone's thinking right now that I have a much more incredible memory than I really do) the house became pet happy again. First it was a dog. That'd be Rikki. Shortly after came Penny the cat, and a couple of weeks after that Max arrived to keep her company. That was 1997, though, and pet lifespans (well, all lifespans, of course), are finite.

The dog went first. Not surprising, since dogs generally don't get too much past a decade. A few months back it was Penny. Now, I'm pretty sure we won't have Max for too many more weeks, if that.

Now, keep in mind that this is a nearly 16 year old cat. I know that there are cats out there that've lived longer, but overall 16 years is a decent age. It's sad to see the end of a pet era, though, and Max? Well, Max is a pretty neat cat. He certainly has more personality that just about any other cat we've had, and we've had a few over the years.

What'll happen (petwise) when he's gone? I really don't know. My dad's talked occasionally about getting another dog, and it wouldn't surprise me too much if he did. Maybe he'll decide to take a pet break for a while to make up his mind, though. Tough call for someone like him who's had animals pretty much all his life except for the short period I mentioned above. No doubt I'll keep you posted either way, since it'll end up being blather worthy and Whomever knows that I'm usually short on blather.

Gee, this was a happy post. I need to end with something lighter, I think. Something pet related? Sure. Let's see... A parrot driving its own car? Why not. There might be a few of you out there who haven't seen that yet.

Incidentally, it's a good thing that this guy's pet wasn't an octopus. Wheat and I have a theory about the oncoming octopus world domination. They're going to take over, folks. Remind me to tell you why sometime. It'll freak you out, I promise.

2 comments:

lizzyol said...

So sad! Max is an awesome cat, he will be missed.

Sparroweye said...

We became catless after our trip out West. At first I was so sad. We had taken our last cat on the road with us. she would ride up on the dash of the motorhome. She seemed to love it. Then shortly after we got back home three months later she died. But a friend said. But what a glorious gift you gave her. She did seem to enjoy it. For a while we only had our dachshund Tiny. We decided he was lonely and adopted Bonnie. She is only one year old. Probably as we are both approaching 70. Well, me in 4 years, he in 2. Bonnie may be our last pet. But me, I would like another cat one day. But my husband is allergic. Don't ask why we then had cats. Long story. No matter what age. Losing a pet is hard.

Related Posts with Thumbnails