Saturday 12 April 2014

Lobes

Pointless photo? Not of lobes. Sorry, but I've got to work with what I have. And besides, I kind of like this picture, pointless as it is. I really can't wait for more actual green things to come out now so that I can really try out this lens properly.

You know, by taking shots of spiders on flowers.

Aaanyway, lobes. And what kind of lobes? Oh, let's go with earlobes, since I'm rather aware of mine at the moment.

Yes, it's another pointless blather about jewellery. Considering that I'm not exactly jewellery-obsessed, I sure talk about it a lot on this blog. And today? Earrings.

Because I don't wear necklaces in my lobes, right?

Did I say anyway already? Oh yeah, I did. Let's continue, then.

Today I'm rather aware of my lobes because I'm wearing a pair of slightly dangly earrings with french wires and rose quartz beads. Slightly dangly only, because I'm at work and it looks weird to wear over-the-top earrings with my uniform t-shirt. I've had these particular earrings since university, and I got them from a beading place that used to be in HUB Mall (sigh. Sad that the shooting still comes up so quickly in a search. And wow. I just looked up the directory and way more of the places that I used to go to than I expected are still there. Not the beading place, though). It was mostly diy there, as beading places generally are, but they had a few done-up pieces and that's what I've got on. Pretty simple: wire, silver spacer, quartz bead, silver spacer. As I said, not too dangly, and I used to wear them all the time because they didn't interfere much in my labs.

They're sort of driving me a little mad right now.

I hadn't realised how much I'm not used to having weight on my lobes anymore. I wear earrings almost every day, yes, and I do have two piercings in each lobe (story here, for those who don't know it), but these days I just wear fairly light earrings. My default is two gold studs joined by a chain, because that way I don't have to pick two pairs of earrings in the morning. Occasionally I'll theme up if I'm programming for little kids, but even then those earrings are featherweights compared to these.

It wasn't always that way, however. I was a teenager in the eighties, and like anyone else who was a teenager in the eighties I wore some weirdass stuff. Big, dangly, neon, mismatched, cuffs joined by crystal chains to studs... yeah, judging by what I still have around I was the weird earring queen, and judging by the tamer earrings I'm wearing right now weight never used to distract me.

I can't say I'm sorry about that. When I look at some of the stretched piercings I see on women who wear heavy earrings every day I'm not exactly envious. Even less so when I see people who can't wear earrings at all anymore because if they do that last bit of skin left to them after a lifetime of stretching will tear through. My earlobes still look like earlobes, and that's fine by me.

Incidentally, for those of you doing the ear tunnel thing, I'm going to sound all old fogey here but I really don't get it. I mean, I don't get extreme piercing period, but at least with narrow holes they become fairly invisible if you decide to remove your jewellery and let them contract. Tunnels, though? All that stretching means that you're stuck with it even if you change your mind later in life.

I feel the same way about neck tattoos, actually. I'm fine with tattoos in general -- I'd even have one or two myself by now if I wasn't so cheap -- but anything neck and above just strikes me as such a bad life choice. You're automatically limiting your opportunities later on with one of those things.



Anyway. For real this time. Back to work for me, and if any of my two fans who for some reason care about my jewellery choices wondered, yes, the rolling ring is still worn daily and is an absolute dream for a habitual fidgetter like me.

I'm just glad that I don't have to wear it in my earlobe.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

I collect unusual pierced earrings. I wish I had my grandmother's old victorian type clip on earrings. Wonder where they went to. My new favorite ones have a cardinal on them. We are back in the mountains of North Carolina and winter just won't leave.

Related Posts with Thumbnails