Tuesday 27 May 2014

Man, my work life has changed

I'm having one of those technologically schizophrenic days where I'm feeling both up to date in what I need to do and massively old. I had a phone call from a teacher wondering about an installation that I think is probably the City's, and I told him the easiest way to find out would be to tweet them. Since we follow the City we'd see the answer and know for ourselves as well.

Simple enough, right? Well, first consider that I've been at this job for over twenty years (sigh). Then add in the fact that it was natural for me to tell the teacher to tweet them rather than call or write a letter or even e-mail, for pity's sake. It's the kind of natural, though, that has me sitting back after the phone call's ended and thinking what the hell was that, exactly.

My work life has changed a lot over the last two decades (sigh). For example, I have a desk full of reference books and I still use them, but my number one resource these days when I'm answering questions is knowing how to use a good search engine. Incidentally, I've said this before but if people knew how often their questions were answered by a good bout of the google they'd probably stop calling us.

I sit at a desk with a large flat screen monitor and use a high speed internet connection. No biggie, right? Except when you think about the system that we had when I started here. Two computers, dot matrix printer, and dial-up internet that no one used because it was only on one computer and it was faster just to take out a book. Cut and paste for documents was literally cut and paste. You wanted colour printing? No, you printed on coloured paper.

I'm not that old. It's just that things have changed that much.

Interestingly, things at home haven't changed for me. Only if you count digital television, I suppose, but seeing as I'm running it on a fourteen-year-old analogue CRT via cable box I'm not sure it does. I have no computer. I don't even have a smart phone (yet) because I'm off-contract and I haven't decided if I want to switch carriers. Do I miss the technology? Not really. I get enough of it at work. Oh, there'll be a time when I'll have more technology, of course, but it's possible to have a life without it.

No, really. It is.

Now excuse me as I stop (electronically) blogging and go back to (electronically) tweeting.



When exactly did my life become this?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails