Sunday 18 May 2014

Things that I do sometimes

I'll admit that I have a few weird internet habits. Everybody does, really, but I at least admit it. One of my weirder ones -- and I've mentioned it before -- is playing with recommendations on Amazon. You see, I've ordered a variety of things form them over the years, and the variety of things doesn't make much sense to the recommendations algorithm. It can't seem to find a pattern for me, and I find that sort of unreasonably amusing. If I have nothing pressing going on and I've visited Amazon for whatever reason, I'll often spend a few minutes (ok, more than a few minutes) on the recommendations page clicking the Not Interested button for things that are way off-base, just wanting to see what the poor stupid thing will try next. My aim is to get the first page of recs to be entirely things that I might actually want, but I've never managed it yet. Maybe if I spent all morning trying it would happen, but even I'm not that much of a time waster.

Today the algorithm's decided that I want art supplies, philosophy, and ancient Greek plays. It's been entertaining.

All this is, of course, by way of saying that I haven't thought of a blather, but never fear. I do have a photoessay.

I spent a while in the yard yesterday taking pictures, and I sat down for a bit by the fish pond (not yet operational for the season, what with this late spring and all) watching the chickadees. These photos aren't the greatest since I didn't have a long lens on the camera, but there's enough here to give the idea. Ladies and gentlemen, I now present: the Bathing of the Birds.





The approach.




I did mention that the pond isn't "going" yet. It needs a good clean-out before the pump is started and the fish are brought outside from their indoor tank.




The bird's using a little shelf that Dad meant for holding semi-aquatic plants. We haven't bothered buying any of those for a while, though, because they tend to be expensive and in this climate they just die when it starts getting cold.




 It's a look, I guess.




Getting ready for take-off.






Action shot...




No, not drowning. Just having a drink mid-bath.








That's one bedraggled-looking bird, I think you'll agree. Or two, since the bottom two photos were of a different bird. As I said, not the greatest shots. Next time I'll try to remember to bring my other lens in and not just the one on the camera. It'll be weird using the zoom again, though. I've got used to the 50mm prime after the last few months. And I'm looking forward to taking flowers pictures with it for sure.

Come onnnnn flowers...


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails