Thursday 16 October 2014

Something fairly disgusting, and then tea

You know, even with the idiot-proof text editors that blogging sites have now, it can still be helpful to know enough basic html that you can figure out a wtf formatting thing by scanning the code instead of just whining that things aren't formatting right.

You know, like I was about to do before I remembered to go look at the code.

Anyway, one quick gross thing that you're perfectly welcome to skip, then more mindless tea blather because we haven't had any for a bit. Just look at the leaves if you don't feel like hearing the nasty stuff. No, seriously. Just look to the left for a while. It'll be done soon.

Ok, so here's the thing. I've had a bit of an earwax problem since I was a kid. So did my brother, if I remember right. I can't really remember what he had to do, but I had to go to the clinic to have my ears syringed every once in a while because of wax build-up. In my case, my doctor couldn't figure out why it was building up at all. H told me that it was fairly soft and didn't seem to be compacting, and that for most people wax like that just falls out periodically. Not mine, though, so I had the joy of having a metal syringe jammed in my ears now and then (one of the nurses seemed incapable of aiming, and she'd always scrape the side of my ear canal with the thing. And then, of course, give me heck if I jumped) to have them shot up with warm water to move the bloody (well, not literally bloody) wax along. Then would come a few hours of swimmer's head, naturally. Water swishing around trying to find its way out. For hours, did I mention? Terribly pleasant.

As I got older I started doing my own ears when they needed it. No horrible metal syringe, though. One of those little plastic baby syringes does the trick, usually. Head over the sink, watch the disgusting little bits come out, rinse, repeat. Not fun, but better than a doctor's visit. Anyway (again), last night I was feeling a little blocked and realised that it had been ages since I'd washed things out. It was all the usual routine, except for what I saw in the sink after I did my right ear. Holy mother of something or other all that nastiness was in my ear??? Gah. I have a zoology degree and have seen a lot of things, but even I was moderately horrified by the amount of dark, dark wax that was lurking in the recesses, so to speak.

Please, please, for Whomever's sake, remind me to do my ears a liiitle more frequently from now on...

----------

Ok, done with that. I need to get back to work (as you hear nearly every day) but I wanted to say quickly and quietly that I may have a new favourite tea. 

I did say quietly. Don't want to offend the former favourite.

Keep in mind that when I say favourite I'm meaning favourite "standard" tea, for lack of a better term. Actually, that's a pretty bad term. Let me put it this way, then: my favourite style of tea is probably masala chai, or what we in North America tend to call just plain chai. There are lots of different types of masala chai out there, though, so let's call it a tea category rather than a tea. When I say favourite tea, then, I'm meaning straight-up tea without added spices or other flavours. I think that makes more sense now.

ANYWAY (the third), I'm a die-hard second flush darjeeling fan and always will be, but I have to admit that the Quangzhou Milk Oolong that I got in my last tea order is possibly the smoothest tea I've ever had in my life. My loyalties may be shifting, you guys.

But I'll always have a special place in my heart for you, darjeeling my old friend. Don't worry. I'm not going anywhere permanently. I'm just visiting other teas occasionally, that's all.



Um, like the tea cares anyway. Let me end like a normal person already and say that if you're an oolong lover then this particular one is definitely worth a try.





Man, this was a lot of words for such a pointless post. Have a bonus cat or two. You deserve it for making it all the way to the bottom.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails