Wednesday 24 October 2012

Ah, the perils of having time to blog

Yes, I know that I promised a picture of Alan the Pumpkin (who's now, apparently, Alan the Door Prize. Long story), but to be honest I'm not in the mood to get the camera out. Or, more to the point, to edit a photo of a pumpkin sitting on my desk. Maybe tomorrow.

----------

So. I've been either not blogging or saying that I don't have time to blog for well over a week now. I have time today.

So what do I blather about, then?

That amount of non-blather time can lead to an embarrassment of riches... or at least of things that I haven't told you about. The problem is, nothing's really leaping out and saying Me! Me! I want to be the subject of your first real blog post in aaages!

Figures, doesn't it?

All right, why don't I just start typing about random things from yesterday and see where it goes.

Yesterday = snow, first of all. Our first serious, sticking snowfall of the season (too fricking early, too). And that, as usual, means that half of the people in this city forget where they left their brains as soon as they hit the roads.

Man, people are stupid when it comes to winter driving; especially when you consider how much winter we generally get here. Case in point? A truck drove through the window of a local music store. He had no choice, though, because he'd been driving in the left lane when an idiot in the centre lane decided to turn left IN FRONT OF HIM. Dumb move in the best of conditions, but the streets were slick and there wasn't much else the truck driver could do but hit the store. He hit the idiot driver, too, but not as badly as he might have otherwise.

I think that they need to add IQ tests to driver's tests.

I had two personal examples of winter driving stupidity to contend with myself, and if you figured that number with the population of drivers in the city the amount of potential idiocracry is truly astounding. Hey, teacher at the school next to us. When the roads are slippery you don't barrel out of your parking lot, suddenly remember that other people use the road, slam on your brakes, and slide halfway into the street and nearly into the car (that'd be my car) that is coming. Hey, idiot pick-up driver (and we all know my feelings about idiots in trucks already). When I am finally trying to make a left turn as the light turns amber (after waiting several lights in the turn lane because the roads are too iffy for people to be able to sneak a turn into the usual space in traffic) and you're more than half a block away from the intersection, YOU STOP. You don't just merrily drive through and wave at me as you assume that I might -- might -- be able to stop my car so that I don't hit you. I wasn't doing you a favour by stopping mid-turn. I was trying not to be killed.

Gah.

They're both just lucky that I have decent tires and a car that knows what to do in winter. Um, well, the driver does too, of course, but let me tell you that I'm very much in danger of falling in love with traction control. This is the first car I've had it in, and I wouldn't have believed that it makes that much of a difference. Thanks, Huff.



Hmm. Me being po'd at winter drivers just turned into a post. Who'd'a thunk?

I guess that means that I should go back to work now, though. Oh, quick art update first. I finished my canvasses last night. They're... different. Now I just have to work up the courage to bring them in for the staff art show. That's going to take a bit of doing. They're different, did I mention? I'm not always that comfortable with different.

I bet my two fans hadn't noticed.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails