Sunday 7 October 2012

Chapter 1652: Wherein... Deer!

Yes, the pointless photo isn't of a deer. I do know the difference between a deer and a ladybird beetle. I just didn't have the camera out when the deer were in the yard this morning.

It was mule deer again as usual. A couple of them, from what I could see. It's the first chance I've had to see deer in the yard this season. They've probably been here before, of course, but from a combination of me not coming home to visit my father for a couple (hmmm... three, actually) of weekends and the fact that noticing the deer involves accidentally looking out of one of the bedroom windows at exactly the right time, this became the first sighting of the fall for me. We don't see the deer much in the summer time because they have plenty of other sources of food, but come the fall and winter they start hanging out in the neighbourhood a fair bit.

I'll probably be seeing a lot of deer between now and the spring.

I admit it -- I still geek out over the deer. I see them at least a few times over the course of the winter, and I still get excited. I work at a nature centre where deer and moose are by no means uncommon, but I'll still run to the window if I see one go past the office.

I'm not the only one.

I'm not entirely sure what it is (I know that for me at least the whole Bambi thing doesn't enter play. That's not how I see nature), but there's something about the fact that such large mammals are still around in urban environments that's somehow thrilling. Maybe it's a sign that we haven't  (yet) screwed things up so much that they're gone. Maybe it's a feeling that we're not as disconnected from the natural world as we generally think we are.

Maybe it's just that seeing a deer is neat. I dunno.

I was reading (well, skimming) an article the other day that said that large predators like coyotes were on the rise in urban areas. The article's headline, at least, made it sound like some invasion that we should be wary of. Why? In many ways, the presence of large predators indicates the health of a system. Large predators need prey. Prey need food. Without food for the prey and prey for the predators, large predators disappear. And if it so happens that an urban area can support large predators, that's... it's cool, dammit.

And if it so happens that large predators are living on stray cats and dogs and that bothers you, then do something about making sure that there are less stray cats and dogs.

Anyone want to start singing The Circle of Life with me right about now? Um, on second thought, no. And I'm so not linking to that. Find it yourself if you want that song in your head all day.



Aaanyway. There were deer in the garden this morning. I was glad. I was glad even though they eat plants that I'd rather see survive the winter. I'm good that way, though. Plants vs deer? Ok, I'll allow the loss of a few plants if it means I can tell Dad that there are deer in the back as I'm getting dressed in the morning.

Wouldn't you?

----------

I've realised that I have a new pet peeve. I realised it as I sat here eating leftover turkey with crackers for breakfast this morning. The pet peeve isn't turkey, however, despite what you might be thinking now. I definitely approve of turkey. What I don't approve of is Canadian Thanksgiving.

Sorry, let me change the emphasis there: Canadian Thanksgiving.

Why do we Canadians say Canadian Thanksgiving? It's Thanksgiving. Here in Canada. Do we really need to spell it out? Oh sure, we're just differentiating it from American Thanksgiving, which is later (and, as usual, louder), but unless you're explaining that to a group of Americans do you really have to say Canadian Thanksgiving?

Interesting fact, by the way (according to the internet, anyway, so take it with the usual grain of salt. Or bucket of salt, as needed): First American Thanksgiving? 1621, by the Pilgrims. First Canadian Thanksgiving? 1578, by Martin Frobisher. Yes, Frobisher as in Bay.

For non-Canadians, I'll leave you to look that one up. For Canadians, too, considering how good we generally are at celebrating or even remembering our own history.

I suppose I've just read a few too many Canada-based blogs saying Happy Canadian Thanksgiving this morning, but it started to get annoying. It's so stereotypically Canadian apologetic, after all. Hi everyone, we're having Thanksgiving. I know it doesn't seem like the right time to be having Thanksgiving, but I guess that's how we do it up here in Canada. It's Canadian Thanksgiving. Sorry that it's not the same as yours...

Ah well. For those of you in the States who still have a ways to go before your pumpkin pie, I will tell you that there's one distinct advantage to having an earlier Thanksgiving: avoiding holiday overload. I don't know how you folks do it, to be honest. To go from a big family holiday straight into the hassle of shopping for another big family holiday? My head would explode.





Good lord. I've just looked at how long this post is. Maybe I was trying to make up for the lack of post tomorrow, since I won't be near a computer? Let's just go with that. I'll see you in a couple of days.

In the meantime, Happy Thanksgiving.

That's right, just Thanksgiving.



Dammit.

Again.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails