Sunday 27 July 2014

So disorientated

The title, by the way, is a joke. There's a debate about disorientated versus disoriented, and to be honest the first one makes me cringe a little even though it's in common use and increasingly accepted. It's not something I go all Grammar Granny over, but if you knew me in person you'd know that I'm never disorientated. I am, though, frequently disoriented.

I am now, in fact.

Summers mean that my work week has shifted so that I can be here (at work, that is) on weekends. That's always weird to begin with. Tonight I'm also helping to cover the evening shift because I'm somewhat short-staffed, and that makes it weirder.

But hey. Here's a spider picture. That should make things better.

These particular ones are Bowl and Doily spiders; a female and two males. I took this a while ago, and I don't imagine both males stayed long. One might have, though. Males and females have been known to share webs for a while. I like Bowl and Doily spiders (big surprise, I know). They make cool webs, have a neat hunting style, and look like they've been graffittied down their abdomens.

And they spend most of their time upside down.

Without being disorientated.

Anyway. Not much to say from me today because it's been kind of a talky day already. This afternoon I was leading an edible plant walk (surprise! If you get lost in the Alberta woods with me, we won't starve to death. I have sooo many secret skills, you know) this afternoon, and it's surprising how tired an hour and a half monologue on a hot day can make you.

Speaking of hot, we're supposed to have a fair scorcher -- for us, anyway -- of a week coming up. And of course the newscasters are all saying how great it sounds in their obligatory chummy chat after the forecast. WHAT IS GREAT ABOUT TOO-HOT WEATHER? We're not used to it, it makes everyone crabby, and it's probably going to be a gajillion degrees in my apartment by Friday. Geez, people. Have some sense.



That's um, a long-standing annoyance of mine. Bet you couldn't tell.

Ah well, back to work for another fifty minutes or so for me. At least there are some words down here tonight. There probably won't be tomorrow because I'll be busy, and then I'll likely be away from the computer for a couple of days after that. This blog is terribly active lately, isn't it?

Ah well.





Again.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails