Saturday 5 July 2014

Tea, with no picture of tea

As promised. This columbine intrigues me, though. I could swear that there wasn't a columbine in the yard last year. And I'd say that maybe it was hidden under the rose except that the rose is a climber rather than a bush so it's not especially thick. Ah well, nothing wrong with pretty volunteers, wherever they come from.

Just as an aside, I had my kit lens on the camera rather than the 50 mm wide angle I've been using to take close-ups lately. Biiig difference. And I miss the bokeh, so it's probably back to the other lens for more flower pictures after this.

Anyway, tea. Again, as promised... or should I say threatened? My latest tea order arrived at Dad's this week (I generally have parcels delivered to Dad's address rather than mine for a few reasons; one of which is less hassle since he's on a superbox -- aka Community Mailbox now, apparently -- and, unless the parcel's too big for one of the parcel boxes, doesn't have to go down to a mail outlet for pick-up), so I'll be talking about tea again whether you want to hear it or not. A topic's a topic, after all.

First, though, the actual parcel. Does anyone else think it's slightly overkill to mark a parcel that (only) has six plastic bags of tea in it with not one but two fragile, handle with care stickers? Two stickers, kraft paper, tissue paper (to make it look pretty), six of those air-filled packing things that avoid a carton full of styrofoam peanuts (I get that one, though. You don't want things to thump their way across country). Six plastic (and did I say plastic already?) bags of tea.

Ah, modern shipping.

Before I give you the links to the teas you'll be hearing about (so that you can study, of course), let me talk about the samples. This company sends three samples along with each shipment, which is good for the consumer and of course good to help create repeat consumers. I think that they might have struck out with me this time, however. They're pushing a series of teas in a carnival collection, with flavours that are supposed to remind you of the concessions at a fair. Yes, seriously. As a result, I have samples called Caramel Corn and Cotton Candy. Um? They also included a sample of Mango Fruit Punch since it's iced tea season. Um. Don't get me wrong, I'll try them (because... free), but I don't hold out a lot of hope. The mango might be all right, though. I'll keep an open mind.

There was also something in their included catalogue pamphlet that was a little eyebrow-raising, but only because I don't want to see tea go down the gimmicky road that coffee's gone down these past few years. So how does Teapop sound to you? You can try it in their stores if there's one near you, or you can make it at home by (and this is a rough recap here. I don't have the recipe in front of me) making a bit of strong tea, putting it in a glass with sweetener (they suggest agave because that's what they sell), adding ice, and then topping it off with soda water. It'd probably be ok. I might try it. But I'll cringe for being such a follower while I do it.

Ok then. The teas. I haven't tried any of the new ones yet so you still have the critiques to look forward to (yay?), but as I said I'll give you the links. First, the repeat orders of Second Flush Darjeeling and Chocolate Rocket. I've said before that Darjeeling is my favourite standard tea, and this is a good one in my (fairly limited, true. But my blog, after all) experience. And Chocolate Rocket... well, I can see why it's one of their most popular. Chocolate? Almonds? Raspberry? Yerba mate buzz? Yes please.

The new to me teas are: Saigon Chai (sounds like a fairly pure -- as in, un-effed-with -- chai. I have high hopes), Quangzhou Milk Oolong (Oolongs come a firm second after Darjeeling for me), Chocolate Chili Chai (I've never done the chili thing with tea. I'm predicting that it'll either kill me or I'll become an addict), and Jungle Ju ju (which is guayusa-based).

I've never tried guayusa, by the way. They say that it's similar to mate but without the bitterness. Confession here, though. I've never had mate on its own, so I've never noticed how bitter it apparently is. Anyway, we'll give the guayusa a try and see what happens.

A buzz at lease, I hope.



Less tea talk, more lunch now. I'm sure you're all relieved, but try not to look it too much. I could take offense, you know.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails