Monday 4 August 2014

Grazing


I sometimes think that my father figures that I only show up at his place this time of year to nibble on his yard. It's not true, really. I come to take pictures of things on flowers (those will be coming up in future posts, I promise. Or threaten) and do my laundry.

And to visit Dad, of course.

It is a bit of a pleasure for me, though, when things are to the state of casual harvest. It starts with the asparagus in spring (which I eat raw. Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, but I'd recommend fresh from the garden rather than old from the grocery store). He
has a humongous plant that he never uses, so I eat what I can while I'm here and then the rest turns into a tree. It's been featured here before; just search asparagus tree. Many, many other people have, according to my google hits.

Anyway, here's a bit of what's ready, what's not, and what I forgot to take pictures of.

Apples (above) -- not ready, but soon. Waiting, waiting.

Grapes (left) -- this is an old photo. They're proper grape-sized now, but still not ready. The leaves have already started turning (sigh, August), which is why you're not getting today's shot.

Currants (forgot to take a picture; too busy eating) -- well, yeah, what I just typed.

Raspberries (left) -- so good. So very good. I probably ate a few too many.

Nanking cherries -- forgot to check, actually. I'll do that after I'm done here.

Saskatoons (below) -- peak season. And the photo's not great, but I couldn't retake it. The fruit somehow magically disappeared.

Into my mouth. I'm huge into saskatoons. And if you've never had one, they're vaguely blueberryish but better. Oh, but caveat: many sources say that they're sweeter in Western Canada because of our soil conditions, and an Easterner coworker of mine has confirmed that for me this year.


Well, that's the menu of the moment. Sorry for the weird formatting that's left the extra space between some of these photos, but Blogger's being stupid and won't let me put things where I want to. I know you probably don't even really care, but that sort of thing bugs me.

What to do about the annoyance?

Oh yeah, there's always the nanking cherries. Let's go look, shall we?

----------

Edited to say that I think I'm managed to kludge the screwed-up formatting from yesterday. Yes, it bothered me that much. Oh, and the nanking cherries are still a little tart. Probably another few days.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails