Tuesday 13 January 2015

Heeeyyy blog...

Long time no see and all of that stuff. What can I say? I've been busy.

With work, yes, but not just that. Busy doing things like organising, which really needed to be done. Organising my art stuff, amongst other things.

Yeah, the art stuff. I've mentioned before that I have a one-room apartment, and after so many years there the art stuff was starting to take over a bit from sheer spread. So, back in December I bought one of those cheap plastic drawer things, and I've finally got around to putting the art stuff in there.

It mostly fit, except for the paper which I put in a briefcase instead. Oh, and the few blank canvasses that I have left. And some bristol board that I can't decide what to do with. And a set of Crayola markers that I don't really want to take out of the box. And the...

Um, anyway. Most of the art stuff is now in the plastic drawer thing (technical term), and the good news is that I didn't find any surprises. Yes, I actually knew how much art stuff I had, and yes, I've used it.

Not all of it all at once, of course. That would be the ultimate in mixed media hell.

The devil in me wants to bore the snot out of all of you with an itemised list (it may happen yet -- we'll see if I get bored enough in the next while to get into list mode), but instead I thought I'd introduce you to some of this year's new Christmas art stuff with this bit from one of my sketch books. This was just doodling in front of the television and the proportions are all wrong, but for anyone out there who's unfamiliar with Koh-I-Noor's Tri-Tone pencils I thought I'd show you a bit of what they do. The idea is that the three tones combined in each lead give added richness and depth to sketches.

To be honest, when I opened them I thought that they looked like something that a twelve-year-old girl would decorate a school book with (New Direction in flowered hearts or something...), but as I've tried them out I see what they mean. The ones with three similar colours are extremely subtle, but contrasting ones like the one in the picture really do add something to even a rough sketch.

Cool surprise, that. And yes, my two fans may be figuring out that I'm gearing up my brain to do some doodling for work, so if I didn't think it would jinx things I'd say keep an eye on this space (well, more likely on the other blog) for some actual new artsy stuff.

Or things.

Choose your own non-committed-nif there.



As my two fans may have also predicted, I need to get back to work now. No me here tomorrow for sure, but I'll try for something later in the week.

Try being the operative word.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails