Sunday 18 January 2015

Toys


My Dad's computer is convinced that there's something wrong with my Croco (yes, I'm still using a crocodile-shaped flash drive. Interestingly, I didn't pay near the price for it listed in the link), which there isn't. It's so persistent in wanting to scan it, though, that today I let it.

There's nothing wrong with my Croco. Told you so, computer.

----------

Today's Illustration Friday prompt (don't worry, readers of the other blog. You're not in the wrong place. I just haven't gotten around to doodling yet) is toy. That's a big one, and if you're in a slightly philosophical mood you could even ask what a toy is. Is it a box, as cats and babies through the ages seem to believe? Is it a poodle? Is it a cell phone, considering the way that most people use theirs?

I suppose that a toy is whatever you play with, really. I habitually call my 3DS my toy, I guess because I'm not exactly a gamer and I'm also not exactly the demographic. I don't take it seriously; it's my toy.

Just a pointless squirrel on the balcony
I suppose that my camera counts as a toy as well, although I do take that somewhat more seriously than the 3DS. I'm not a photographer, I'm mostly just fooling around, but I am still looking for good photo opportunities. On the rare occasions when I get a good shot I do save it, although I'd say that 99% of what I take gets posted randomly here and then deleted.

Just as an aside, I got myself into a slight bit of trouble over that attitude once. I had a photo of an unusual ladybird beetle that I blogged. Later on, our preschool teacher brought in the same species, intending to take a picture and send it to someone who was working on a Ladybugs of Alberta book for identification. I suggested that we just send my shot, which I hadn't deleted yet. Turns out that the author really like the photo because the beetle was on an apple and its scientific name had apple in it (in Latin, of course). He asked for the highest res possible of the original image, and I sheepishly had to send him the small, square-cropped only copy that I had saved. Or, more accurately, not deleted yet as I said above. It did make the book, though. You can find it in here, if you're inclined to see my name spelled wrong in the photo credits.

This is sodalite. I'll leave you to look it up for yourselves. 
I do have actual toys, of course. I have a few constructing toys because sometimes that's what I like to do when I'm sitting in front of the television. You'll probably find Kinder Surprise toys around my apartment because every once in a while you've just got to have a Kinder Surprise (unless you're in the US. Sorry about your overprotective government, folks). I have modelling clay because... well, modelling clay.

And that last link brings up the art supplies. While I occasionally do real illustration work for the nature centre, for the most part I'm playing when I'm doodling. It's toys. Even my rocks, to an extent, are toys. I wear them on cords so that I can play with them, if I'm being entirely honest.

Obviously I have no trouble playing, then. What I will have trouble with is deciding on a subject if I ever get around to the IF word of the week. Tonight, maybe.

Until then, don't be ashamed to play with your toys, boys and girls. We all have them, and we all still need to play.





And I personally need to eat lunch now. Catch you in a day or so, depending on how Monday goes.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails