Friday 26 February 2010

Stupid O'Clock

I have officially been up since Stupid O'Clock. Stupid O'Clock, otherwise known as Gawdawful In The Morning.

I got up so early that I decided to go to work at 9 am (I usually go in about 10:30 to help cover lunch break, amongst other things) because I'd already run out of things to do with my morning.

I got up so early that I made myself a sandwich at 7 am because there just didn't seem to be any point in looking at breakfast foods.

That's way too early, if anyone was wondering.

Why did I get up so early? Well, apparently it's because I was done sleeping. That's what my brain decided, anyway. I'm not sure what the criteria are for TIME TO BE DONE SLEEPING!!!, but my brain was pretty sure of itself so I just went along with it.

Not that I had much choice in the matter, of course.

I've seen Stupid O'Clock far too many times in my life, to be honest, and it always ticks me off. It also ticks me off that I can function at all on the days when I get up at Stupid O'Clock, because the ability to function at Stupid O'Clock indicates the hell of being a morning person, and I really really really really don't want to be a morning person.

Even if I am.

Now.

I never used to be, you know. For a very long time I was the epitome of a night person, and I loved it. In my off-season from work (and I used to work very seasonally, so there was a fair amount of off-season) my body clock would gravitate naturally towards getting up around 10 am and going to bed at 2 am. It was great. I was at my most productive and creative (as much as I get creative) in the evening, when no one was likely to interrupt me. I had a fondness for late-night infomercials in all their ridiculous over-the-top-edness. There was nothing weird about deciding to bake cookies at midnight.

Now, though? Now it's alllll gone.

I miss it.

I lost my nights a number of years ago when I went through a prolonged bout of insomnia. Yes, I know that you probably think I'm an insomniac now -- and I am -- but back then it was serious, frustrating stuff. The reasons behind it... well, I know what they were but had a very hard time trying to fix them. In the end, my body did the fixing for me.

By changing its own internal clock.

And making me an *insert favourite expletive here* morning person.

There's a mental slap in the face for a person, eh? Your own body saying, "fine. You can't get things worked out on your own? Well, I'm going to solve this problem, but in a way that will drive you completely nucking futs. That's for being such an idiot in the first place, woman."

And ever since then Stupid O'Clock and I have been regular, if indifferent, acquaintances. And if I don't get to bed by 11 pm I'm completely useless.

Man, do I miss nights.

----------

Bit of a weird weekend for me this time around, so don't be terribly surprised if I'm MIA from the blogosphere for a day or two. I promise I'll try not to pass another stone or catch another cold in the meantime.

Or if I do, I promise that you'll all hear about it.

Ad nauseum.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

Just wait until you're over sixty and your body gets you up at 4 freakin thirty to pee. And try getting back to sleep after that. I truly enjoy your humor. god awful morning and stupid o'clock. Gotta remember those.
And...
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a ___ healthy, wealthy and wise.

Do you see Moose there. I want to see a live moose one day.

Related Posts with Thumbnails