Saturday 11 September 2010

Shut up, Jay

Today's photo, in addition to being pointless, was also chosen at random. Seriously. I didn't even look at what I was clicking on.

Turned out not too badly, all things considered. It's still pointless, though.

----------

Ok. Last night I stayed up late to watch Jay Leno (which, considering that it's on an hour later here than it is for most of you, means staying up LATE) after an already long day. Really not very smart, girl-who-hasn't-been-sleeping-properly. Yes, yes, I know. But I had to, you see. I was already recording something else, and since my dvr's old enough to have just the one tuner my only choice was to stay up late.

Or, erm, find it on the internet the next day, yes. But I didn't think of that at the time. I did say I'd had a long day. Brain not exactly firing on all cylinders.

Anyway.

There are probably only two (maybe three) guests in the universe that would have me staying up late to watch Leno, but Hugh Laurie is one of them. The man is clever, funny, and entertaining as hell in the right circumstances, and I live in the eternal hope that someday, some American interviewer will manage to not only ask intelligent questions of him but also stop to hear the answers.

Jay Leno won't be that interviewer.

Hey, I'm the first to admit that I'm not a fan of Leno. I understand that he's a nice enough guy (although recent events certainly suggest that he's a weasel in business), but I just plain don't find him funny. I don't really understand how anyone can find him funny, honestly, but I'm sure that the people who do find him funny don't understand how I can find the Scottish Conan Guy anything but crude. Fair enough. We all have different tastes. Mine is to find Leno rather bland.

What bothers me more than that, though, is the general American talk show tendency (yep, they all do it) to not let the guests speak. It's so fricking frustrating. These hosts so obviously spend most of their interviews waiting for the slightest opening to make themselves look smart or funny or important or whatever when they should be paying attention to what's currently being said. And yeah, I can imagine (well, more than imagine. I'm a very regular late-night talk show watcher. Usually on the dvr the next morning rather than stupid o'clock at night, though) that they have plenty of interviews where it's necessary to do that sort of thing because the guest is more or less incapable of being entertaining otherwise, but when the guest is well-spoken and has something worth talking about, I wish they'd all learn to recognise that it's SHUT UP TIME.

Of course, with Leno I get to frustration boil-over all that much sooner simply because, unfortunately for him (unfortunate if he actually cared about what I think of him. Which he doesn't. Which, good... since if it was the other way around I wouldn't likely care either), he falls into the category of Celebrities I'd Like To Slap.

There's a few of them.

Renée Zellweger, for instance. Nothing against her personally (or any of the other people I mentally slap) but I have a visceral reaction to her mannerisms to the point where I can't watch her movies because I'm constantly wanting to smack the smug off of her face. Is she smug? Probably not. Doesn't stop me from wanting to slap her, though.

I find Gwyneth Paltrow to be fairly slappable as well. In her case I didn't make it through Emma, although I did manage Shakespeare in Love. I think it had a fair amount to do with the Fiennes fellow in that case, however. Either that or the codpieces.

Um, I just mean that I liked the costumes. Really.

No, really.

Where was I?





Oh yeah. Leno. I'm not sure why he's in the CILTS club (hey! I didn't realise until now that it makes a pronounceable acronym. Feel free to use it if you like), but between that and the fact that he's not funny you won't catch me watching his show without some very special provocation.

And I just wish that one day he'd let the provocation actually get all the way through a story or two, that's all.

[/overly tired for stupid reasons]

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails