Thursday 15 December 2011

Hazard

I need to do my OH&S hazard assessment for work.

I've been putting it off.

I probably should have done it last week, but I wasn't in any particular hurry.

It's due tomorrow, so I need to get it done.

In fact, I'll probably do it after I'm done blathering here, even though I'm not looking forward to it.

And why the delay, Dee?

Oh... it's just because I'm too often the hazard part of the assessment.

Yeah.

I'm a wee bit stereotypical lefty accident-prone, I'm afraid. It's not usually anything serious (although I did once give myself a minor concussion by running into a tree. Long story, but the tree and I both lived), but if I had to make a list of all the stupid little work accidents I've had over the years, our OH&S officer would probably decide that I'm not safe to be let out of the house. Not without a foam rubber suit, at least.

For example?

I just finished helping to stuff envelopes for a mail out. Gave myself a paper cut on my thumb. Put on a bandage just to be doubly sure that I didn't bleed on anything. Grabbed the next envelope. Gave myself a paper cut. ON THE SAME THUMB.

My one-time forum nickname was Gimpy the Wonder Klutz for a reason, boys and girls.

I once turned our planetarium projector into a biohazard when I was making a repair. Didn't noticed I'd pinched myself badly enough to open the skin... until after I'd had the pinched finger pretty much all over the (literally) bloody thing. Had to wipe it all down with alcohol after. That was a fun incident report.

Needless to say, it's not fun to do a hazard assessment when the biggest hazard seems to be you doing pretty much anything.

Ah well. I'm a left-hander in a right-handed world, and I have the scars to prove it.

And now I suppose I should go think of all the possible ways around here that I could make more, right?




Or left, whichever works.

Excuse me while I try to NOT make myself bleed, now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails