Friday 30 December 2011

something somethng New Year's

I think my father juuust may need a new flag...

----------

This will be my last blog post of the year, seeing as I'm not planning to be near a computer for the next few days and blogging by 3DS seems a little weird. I feel like I should have something to say to wrap up the year and bump on to the next one, but I really don't. I don't tend to get into the New Year's spirit much.

Gee, this is going to be an exciting post.

I guess I've just never gotten into the whole idea of seeing the year off with a bang somehow. It wasn't really done in my family when I was little, for starters. I may have watched the ball drop in New York on TV once or twice (recorded and played back later to suit the time zone, of course), but to be honest I'm not sure I even did that. They must be fantastic memories if I can't even recall them, don't you think? Tells me that there's not much to remember, at any rate.

Later on, my New Year's memories are mostly of sitting on someone else's couch trying to find something to watch on TV until they managed to make it home one way or another. Um, I mean that I did a lot of babysitting when I was a teenager, and New Year's Eve was always a big moneymaking day so I never thought about doing anything in the way of partying myself. So far, still so boring. Next life stage...

Well, I didn't do anything for New Year's Eve when I was in university either, because I'd always be home for the holidays. Couldn't go out with friends, Dee? Well, honestly? I don't know if I ever even thought about it.

Fast forward a little bit and you'll actually find me going out for New Year's Eve now and then. Shocking, I know. I've even gone to a midnight showing of Rocky Horror, believe it or not. Such a wild child. Still, it doesn't thrill me. It doesn't help that, depending on who I'm with and where I am, I'm often ready for the night to be done with long before the clock strikes twelve. I know that it makes me sound like more than a bit of a party pooper, but the fact is that between the noise, the drunks, and the unrealistic expectations (mine as well as the ones I always seem to feel around the room) I just find myself wishing for a bit of piece and quiet after a while.

Some of us live alone for a reason, yes.

Ah well. This year? I have a couple of possibilities that I haven't made up my mind about yet. A pretty huge part of me just wants to stay home and watch silly British sketch comedies on DVD, but apparently that's not the way things are supposed to be done. We'll see, I guess, but for the moment my vote's still for the cave.

At any rate, I'll be escaping the internet for at least a couple of days, so I'll say have a good time whatever your plans are, don't be the idiot who drinks and drives, and we'll see you in the new year.




Well, you'll see me.

Or at least my typing.

Or what's left after I type.

I can't see you, of course...






Um, Season's Greetings?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails