Sunday 6 June 2010

Every nose has its thorn

Today's iris bud does not have a nose.  Or a thorn.  It does look a bit heil hitlerish though, don't you think?  Or maybe it's just preparing to do some synchronised swimming or something, I don't know.

Now, about the title.  I've spent a bit too long today buggering around with my iGoogle page and adding a few new gadgets, and as a result I haven't really bothered to come up with any blatherage.  So... I thought I'd tell you briefly about my father and the nose songs.

Don't worry.  I promise that the above sentence will make sense at some point.

When I was a kid, my father had a habit of changing the words to songs when he sang them to us.  Not all of the words, mind; just a few key ones.  Nose was the usual substitute.  Most of the songs my father sang had nose in there somewhere.  I'm not sure why.  Maybe he liked confusing the heck out of his kids.  Or maybe he liked laughing at me when I'd try so hard to correct him.  Yep, I was OLF right from the very beginning, now that I look back on things.

I got used to my father's nose songs, of course.  So used to them that when he sang a song that actually had the word nose in it I was sure he was making it up. Absolutely positive that he HAD to be making it up.  He wasn't.

Now, the weird thing about all of this (like the nose thing wasn't weird enough) is that somewhere along the line I picked up my father's habit of changing the words in songs.  Me.  The person who silently rolls her eyes (well, I suppose most people roll their eyes silently, now that I come to think of it) when people screw up the songs she likes.  My personal excuse is that I do it on purpose to amuse myself, although in the end I think it's more reflex than anything.  Considering my upbringing, I suppose I come by it honestly.

In case you wondered, I'm not a nose person myself.  My word of choice is a little more focussed.  If a song has the word money in it somewhere, you'd better believe that in my head it becomes monkey almost immediately.  In fact, I think that a few monkeys improve most songs.  Go on, try it for yourself and see if you don't agree.

Or maybe you won't.  That's ok.  I did say that the whole thing was weird.






Anyway, that's it from me.  If any of my two fans became fond of the little modelling clay men and their adventures from a few months ago, they've reappeared on the other blog as of this morning because I woke up too early.  And if anyone out there has no clue what I'm talking about, don't worry.  That's about par for the blather.

----------

Edited to add:  this.  No reason, except that it's fantastic.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails