Sunday 20 June 2010

Wha?

Sorry, but between the sneezing and the lack of sleep I think I might have misplaced my brain. Lack of sleep, you say (let's leave the sneezing for now)? Yeah. Last night was... interesting for a few reasons. I'm a little floaty right now.

So what shall we talk about, then? Well, first I'd like to point out that today's pointless photo is of Oriental Poppies, and for a change I was actually at my father's place at the right time to take a few pictures of them before they got ratty and windblown. Usually I'm either too early or too late. These particular poppies (or their forebears, anyway) came from my maternal grandmother's place, and I've always had a fondness for them. When she sold the house we made sure to take some seed heads (which, considering that she sold the place to my uncle probably wasn't quite the rescue mission it sounds like), and now grandma's poppies live in amongst the yarrow under a tree in the back yard. Yeah, that's yarrow you see there rather than weirdly mutated poppy leaves.

Ok, that's the photo. What else can I dredge up? Well, I suppose I could tell you what I gave my dad for Father's Day. Or would you rather guess?  Some of my two fans probably already know, but for those of you who'd rather guess I'll give you some scroll-down space before the reveal.

Ready?

I gave him...







Indigestion.

Or rather, the restaurant did.

Some of you thought I was going to say fish, didn't you? And for those new to the program, this post explains why it wouldn't be weird to think that I got fish for Father's Day. I generally do, but at the moment the pond's population is a little on the high side and the fish are getting big. Rule of thumb, learned by experience (because really, I know bugger all about fish) is that if you want to introduce smaller fish to a pond that already has bigger fish, you should introduce several rather than one. Several small fish will school together until they're big enough to join the bigger fish. One small fish will try to school with the bigger fish.

This tends to not go well for the small fish.

Anyway, no fish this year so I took my father out for supper yesterday instead. He wanted Chinese food, and the meal was good but apparently the garlic ribs didn't sit too well afterwards.

Sorry about that, Dad.

We'll end today with a car speeding recklessly down the hill in front of my father's house. Just look at that thing go!

All right, really? I was trying to get a picture of something at the bird feeder on zoom, but by the time I set the timer to try to avoid shutter jiggle the bird had already gone. And using the zoom on my little camera usually makes anything that moves look like it's moving waaay too fast, so that's the why of the streaky car.

And why am I posting it? Well, it made me laugh yesterday when I uploaded it from the camera. It doesn't seem terribly funny now, but you're getting it anyway.

Um, yeah.



Happy Father's Day to all of you out there who qualify. And even to those of you who don't. Of course, that would make it more just Happy Day, but that's ok with me.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

I made the mistake of putting in my pond two baby koi when my two goldfish died. That was years ago and they are huge. I think they are going to out live me. I have had to backflush and clean the filter every few days since returning home. I know its this heat, it's breeding algae. I keep telling my husband to stop ripping out the water poppies that float on the top as they are keeping the algae from growing. Algae need sunlight.

Related Posts with Thumbnails