Sunday 17 June 2007

Happy Fish Buying Day

But first...

You know that old Albert Hammond song It Never Rains in Southern California? Well, I'd just like to say that I am, apparently, NOT in Southern California.

I did know that anyway, but the current weather is going a long way to confirm it.

I didn't edit today's pointless photo at all, by the way. I kind of liked the way it came off the camera.




Erm... digitally? Oh, you know what I was trying to say.

----------

Some of you may be wondering why I titled this post Happy Fish Buying Day. Others may know why I titled the post Happy Fish Buying Day but are wondering why the pointless photo is of a wet poppy rather than something more appropriate like, say, a fish.

Well, you have a point.

I probably should have looked for a fish photo.

Shoot.




Ah well, too late now. Or at least too lazy to start again.

Fish Buying Day, for those new to the program, is the day that I buy my father a new fish. It comes around once a year, and it generally seems to coincide quite nicely with Father's Day.

Translate the above nonsense as: Every year I buy a fish for Father's Day. A live fish, not a dead one. A fish for the father figure's pond. The whole thing started as a bit of a joke a few years ago when I sneaked a small black koi into the pond and waited for him to find it (and yes, I did tell him about it later that same day. He wouldn't have noticed a fish that colour until he cleaned the pond out in the fall) and it's since become a bit of a tradition. Some years it's a multifish purchase, but this time he didn't lose any in his overwintering tank so rather than risk overpopulation I bought a grand total of one fish.

A sarasa comet, for anyone who knows more about fish than I do.

And really, the average eight-year-old knows more about fish than I do.

I'm not so much into fish.

That makes Fish Buying Day an all-around weirdness, really.




Appropriate for my family, somehow.

Anyway, the fish has been bought (yesterday. So I guess this is technically Post-Fish Buying Day. Fish Boxing Day? Wonder where they get the tiny little gloves, in that case. And how would they fit gloves on their fins?) and is, at the moment, enjoying(?) its first ever rainstorm, the card has been given, and... life goes on as usual.

We're not big on show here.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate my father. I do, very much. I also get along very well with him, which is a wonder considering that I'm a lot like him. It's never seemed to be an issue, though.

Yes, I do realise that I'm lucky.

Anyway, I hope all the dads out there are having a good Fish Buying Day. If, by some chance, somebody bought you a power tool or something instead of a fish, I'm sure it can be exchanged. You might want to let them know for next year, though.

Later, all.

1 comment:

smudgers said...

....and where they get those little outfits for the fish who strut their fins to indicate which round is next ...

And why don't I find these ramblings the least surprising anyway. Thoroughly enjoyable. Not surprising. From you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails