Sunday 3 June 2007

Self-explanatory nonsense

Today was - well, a bit odd. Yeh, yeh, what makes this different than any other day you ask. We can hear you deep sigh as your eyes roll back in your head, you know.

My only intentional task for the day was to get the ironing done. Simple isn't it.

I meant to do one thing.

However .... woke up around 6:30-ish and wandered to the yard with the pups. We played a little and I left them to tug on the rope while I went to play fetch myself. I was, of course, in search of coffee not braided cotton.

Yep, there was the laundry basket on the kitchen table. Yes, sir. Right there, smiling.


So coffee in hand - well, in the huge mug actually - back to the yard I went. Realizing I'd forgotten my 'phone, I had to go back in the house to retrieve it. Found the 'phone. Which made me think to go toss the air-dried jeans into the dryer (why did you even ask how that made me think of the jeans at this point? You did, didn't you) to soften them on the cold fluff cycle, which in turn makes them easier to iron.

The ironing was beginning to whine, I swear.

In the basement, I opened the chest freezer to search for something to thaw for dinner. Then I used the stick-vac to tidy up the laundry-room lint, which led to topping up the container of dog food up on the landing beside the side door. The forty-pound bags are kept on one of the tables in my laundry-room, well out of pup reach you see and emptied into the air-tight container as necessary.

Ah, yes, back down to retrieve the 'phone and the souvlaki. Turkey if anyone is really into the details.

Of course, the pups being out of the house meant it was a little easier to tidy up a bit so I did a little light dusting, fluffed the pillows on the couch. Then back to the kitchen to hunt for the wire rack to put on the plate which goes under the souvlaki so the air can circulate to thaw it evenly. Yes, yes, gentle readers I do have a certain way to do things.

On my way toward the side door, now with telephone in pocket, I ponder missed opportunities if I don't take the camera with me. It is my passion after all... and I'm almost sure I left it on the desk in the den - hey! There it is right beside the computer! It'll only take a minute to check email and see if there's any more hits on my photo gallery "out there".

The ironing by this time was starting to stomp its feet.

The pups run to greet me as I enter their world once more and there is a healthy bit of scratching behind the ears, "go get the toy!!!" and such. I reach for my coffee mug. The contents are cold.

Back into the house for fresh coffee and the camera is certainly not safe anywhere remotely near the pups who can now leap to great heights and/or stretch to the same height as every flat surface in the yard.

As I walked toward the coffee pot the ironing was mocking me.

I left the kitchen, aforementioned huge mug in hand, camera over shoulder AND with two doggie breakfasts in their pretty metal dishes.
None of this was a problem as it is perfectly easy to manoeuvre one's way over the obstacle course if the camera is securely steadied on the left upper arm whilst using the left elbow to push the handle on the side-door as one juggles the dogs' room service in the right hand.

All of which reminds me of the origin of today's photo.
Not to even remotely suggest this post has a point.

I read what I considered a clever thing on the internet many years ago, which went something like: "Just for today - LOOK A BIRD!!!!!!! - let me concentrate on one thing at a time."


Oh and the ironing might get done tomorrow. It's supposed to rain.

American Goldfinch by the way. You can tell by the tiny flag pin on his lapel.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

I hate ironing and I will find way to avoid it. I have pressed out wrinkles in my husbands shirt with my hands. I have ironed on the edge of the washer. (hate setting up that ironing board) Mostly, I buy good permanent press and never have to iron.

Related Posts with Thumbnails