Tuesday 12 July 2011

Ark, anyone?

It poured almost the entire day yesterday. Even the daylilies look like they've had just about enough. And we're supposed to get just as much today, again.

Yippee?

I'm not sure.

I don't mind the rain as such, and I'll admit that I was enjoying the sound of the downpour yesterday. And yes, watching the water cascade down the street (my father lives on a hill) brought back memories of when I was a kid and we used to create little dams in the gutters -- sometimes just with our rubber boots -- to try to change the flow of the water.

Still, though. This province isn't especially used to being so wet. It's not arid here by any means, but it's certainly not a rain forest either. Systems are backed up all over the place right now. Not here specifically, but several neighbouring towns are dealing with serious flooding and power outages.

And we're supposed to get more today...

The odd thing is that this is the second summer in a row that we've be so unusually wet. Last year the gardens all went completely jungle-berserk at the unaccustomed moisture, and things out in my father's yard look to be headed the same direction this year. Just try to keep up with the weeds when they're doing the happy WE'RE WET!!! dance and it never seems to stop raining for more than a couple of days in a row so that you can get out there and do something about it.

It's all so weird, especially when you consider that it was only a couple of years back that we were in the middle of a pretty serious drought.

This is the part, by the way, where I was going to say something about the mosquitoes, but all you really need to know about them is GAH! MOSQUITOES!

The whole thing makes a person wonder how anyone can ever talk about "normal" weather. There's no such thing as normal weather. There are trends, yes, and I do know that climatologically speaking this is all just a small blip in a much, much larger pattern. It's hard to think of the pattern, though, when you're stuck in the middle of what the hell is going on? Oh, and before anyone tries to be helpful and explain all of this to me, I should say that I did study a little bit of climatology in university, so I have a general understanding of the way things work.

And besides, I'll probably be driving home in a downpour today, so I'm allowed to whinge about it at least a little.





Ah, yes. There it is. Self will out, and I like the rain as long as it doesn't inconvenience me.

Just checked the forecast at Environment Canada. Possible 70 mm today, 20 mm tomorrow. And Thursday? Rain.





Yep. May just be needing that ark after all.

In the meantime, I'm thinking we need to end this wet post with some rain music. Thoughts, anyone?

No, not that one.

How about...?

Too much of an earworm.

Well maybe...



Yeah, this. Later, all. If I don't float away.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails