Sunday 10 July 2011

Blank page-itis

A post on Jennifer Appel's blog about what she draws to get herself started got me thinking a little about what it is that I do to try to get the flow going when a blank page (or a blank text box, in the case of this blog) has me as closed up as this iris bud.

Ha! See what I did there? Laaame attempt to make the usual pointless photo ever so slightly less pointless.

I said thinking a little because to be honest it was a pretty short think. As anyone who's had the patience to follow me lately knows, at the moment if I'm not feeling blathery I just plain don't blather. It could be because I've been blogging for a long while now -- since 2007 here, but don't forget that there were four years before that at the other blog before I decided to turn it all artsy -- or it could be my current mood, but for the past few months or so if I haven't felt like saying anything I haven't bothered.

Makes for exciting reading, I know, and I apologise for that. If you're looking for something a little more... um... odd, I would definitely suggest looking at the archives. I was looking for a link somewhere in there briefly today, and I can honestly tell you that I've had more than my share of moments of blog weirdness. Occasionally entertaining weirdness, even.

So what about the days when you actually feel like blogging and can't seem to get started, Dee? Well, in that case I just type. Yep. I put in a placeholder title (often something like Blah Blah Blah Blog Post). I'm sure if you searched a little you'd find a few posts where I've left that sort of title intact with the published post because the resulting incoherent mess really did become blah blah blah blog post. I don't do stream of consciousness all that well, it seems.

Occasionally -- very occasionally -- just sitting down and typing will remind me of something that I really did mean to post about, so I suppose it's still a worthwhile exercise even if it does lead to a whooole lot of crap most of the time. Ah well. The place is called pointless for a reason, after all.

As far as drawing goes, I was going to scan something from my pocket sketchbook as an example, but apparently the work scanner and my computer don't feel like talking to each other today. Maybe they're having trouble getting started? At any rate, think pattern. Pattern = my brain sometimes. Branching patterns, circular patterns, a couple that have followed me around since I was in elementary school that I've nicknamed The Brain (serpentine, vaguely brainish convolutions) and the Endless Rose. That one would be all about starting to draw a rose and then forgetting to stop adding petals. It's soothing, in a weird sort of way, and unfortunately tends to lead to my drawing more patterns rather than starting on the drawing I was planning to do.

Yep. OCD in action, I suppose.

Anyway, and, I guess, ironically, now that I've got a fair start on this post I really need to get back to work. If anyone out there has better tricks to getting started I'd certainly like to hear them. Time for this place to get a bit more chatty again, I figure, and it's not going to happen unless I build a little momentum and do something about it.

And, of course, now that I've said (erm, typed) that out loud, you just know that the next few posts will contain the words I've, got, and nothing over and over and over again...

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

Well, have never done that while drawing. But every day while cleaning or searching. One search leads to another and another. It gets quite distracting and no cleaning every gets down. But I find the best things that have been lost that way. I guess I am a bit of a hoarder. Can't watch that show on tv. Gets me paranoid.

Related Posts with Thumbnails