Saturday 16 July 2011

Assorted things

I have no idea what this post is going to be. I've spent too long doing something that shouldn't have taken so long (more on that in a bit), so I haven't really had time to think of a coherent post.

Not like my posts are terribly coherent at the best of times, but you know what I mean.

Anyway. Here goes. Post out of nothing:

First off, today's pointless photo wasn't taken at night. I was just mucking about with the editor, and decided I liked this. No reason. The reason it's getting posted today is that it's a gorgeous hot day out there so it seemed kind of weird to be posting pictures of wet stuff, which is what I mostly have right now. This one? Still wet, but less obviously so.

Next?

Am I too old to be taking peanut butter and jelly (well, preserves, to be more accurate) sandwiches to work? I didn't feel like making anything, you see, and the peanut butter was quick. I bring a satsuma orange as well, if it helps.

Anything else?

Well, I suppose I should talk about the time waster. Oh, not waster entirely, since it was something that should have been done, but it sure felt like a time waster. It has to do with video, of all things.

We have this flip-style video camera at work. It's still fairly new, and I've been meaning -- and forgetting -- to take it out on the trails with me when I do a rove (a rove? Topic for tomorrow's blog post, maybe. Roves are weird enough to blog about). Today I finally remembered. I did take a bit of video of me narrating a natural history thing which I've since deleted for the crime of being somewhat boring, but on the way back to the Centre I was lucky enough to get some brief footage of a deer that had been browsing the bushes by the building. What the silly thing was doing out in the public areas at noon on a sunny day is beyond me, but there you go. At least I got something to pop up on our YouTube channel, which has so far been very underutilised.

Pop up. Yeah, right. Like you actually "pop up" anything like that. It was more like
  • Plug in the camera
  • Download the software, since the camera hadn't been plugged into this computer yet
  • Download the media reader
  • Restart the computer
  • Plug in the camera
  • Update the software
  • Plug in the camera AGAIN
  • Upload videos to the computer
  • Decide the one video is crap and delete it
  • Start a blog entry
  • Realise I should upload the video to YouTube instead of just Blogger. This, of course, after already waiting the first five minutes of the upload time on Blogger.
  • Open YouTube
  • Try to remember the YouTube password
  • Start the upload
  • Wait what seems like three quarters of an hour for twelve seconds of video to upload
  • Link to video on blog post
  • Try to publish blog post
  • Get error message
  • Reconstruct blog post from post draft
  • Finally publish post
  • Open Twitter
  • Tweet that I've blogged.
WERE COMPUTERS AND SOCIAL MEDIA SUPPOSED TO MAKE MY WORK LIFE EASIER???

Ah well. I've officially posted my work video. Tomorrow I'll see if I can take something of myself that's a little less lame. And then I'll see if I can maybe not drive myself mad in the process of posting it.



Yeah, good luck with that. I'm going to stop typing now, ok?

This better damned well post on the first try...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails