Monday 11 July 2011

Leaf me

So, I was out taking pictures in the rain this morning because I was running a little short of pointless photos since I hadn't had a chance to get out with the camera for a while (plus, the mosquitoes. Gah, the mosquitoes).

Pictures in the rain. The things I do for you people.

Anyway, this means that the next week or so's shots will feature wet everything. Oh, except for wet grape leaves. Two reasons on that: the grape vine is sheltered because it's right next to the house, and it's dull enough outside that, with the exception of the one you're seeing right now, the grape pictures didn't turn out as well as I might have liked. I might go out and give it another try in a moment, though. This blog needs more grape leaves.

No, I'm serious. I love grape leaves. Not so much to eat (I've never had a dolmade, so I'm not even sure what it's like to eat grape leaves), but for their structure. Their shape, their veining... and for the way they curl up in the fall. You see, it's all about fairly tough veins in a relatively thin and delicate leaf surface. When they dry up they make the most fascinating shapes. Fantastic to draw.

It's probably no surprise to any of my two fans who have followed my olf adventures, but I tend to find leaves fascinating in general. I love the branching patterns the veins make. I love the way that they seem superficially symmetrical, but upon closer examination have all kinds of little variations scattered throughout their growth (a reminder that, however preprogrammed organisms might be to grow a certain way, outside conditions are always going to cause changes. If you want uniqueness, you should be looking at leaves rather than snowflakes. There's a much greater chance that you'll find two snowflakes that are the same than you could ever manage for two leaves. Or, erm, at least I'm assuming...). On a day like today, I love the way their waxy surfaces cause the raindrops to ball up and magnify certain parts of the leaf. I love their greenness, and how that greenness reflects their function.

Why yes, I'm a Grade A nerd. No surprise there.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with getting enthusiastic about something so important to our existence as leaves (let's face it -- we wouldn't be here without green plants), but I'll admit that it does lead to an overabundance of photos that are probably pretty boring for those of you out there in Blogland.

I...

Don't care, really. My house, my rules, and leaves make me happy.

Good thing, really, because I got the planters on my balcony done so late this year that I'll be lucky if I have anything other than leaves.

Anyway. I think I'll take the camera out now and have another go at the grape leaves, if you don't mind. If nothing else, it'll give me something to draw in the winter when I'm stuck inside and moping about the lack of leaves...

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

It's Ok. I am a bird nerd. And proud of it. I can get so excited the minute the first hummingbird appears. And this year for the first time ever, a bluebird family nested in my house. I have tried to lure them for years. But each year he would bring her to the house with a morsel and she would say NO. Now they are on their second batch of eggs. I even buy them mealworms. Although I have quit as there are plenty of worms and I don't like making birds dependent on me. When I get to my new place. I plan to research and plant more and more seed tree's and berry trees. And shrub for nesting. Really I want a wildlife refuge. could you come visit and help me?

Related Posts with Thumbnails