Monday 18 July 2011

Weird things I get paid to do at work

No, not post photos of grape leaves. I'm on a break right now.

Amongst the stranger things I get paid to do at work (I mean besides throwing crickets at salamanders) are roves and point duties. For those unfamiliar with the lingo, a rove involves wandering around the trails, possibly with props but not necessarily, looking for people to talk to. A point duty? Much the same, except without the wandering part. Staying at one point; thus, point duty.

And yes, I did just tell you that I get paid to simply hang around outside now and then.

Ok, maybe it's not so simple as just hanging around. I'm supposed to be giving information. It's kind of like being an interactive interpretive sign, in a way. And how much interaction is there? Well, it depends on how you go about things.

When I was a lot younger I would work hard to plan out my roves and point duties. I'd choose themes, research topics, pick my materials carefully, head out with a decided look of I have stuff -- talk to me!!! about my person... and, generally, come back later disappointed that so few people seemed interested in having anything to do with me. It makes sense now, but I can remember being a bit confused about people's reluctance back in the day. I mean, if you've gone to the trouble of coming to a nature sanctuary, why wouldn't you welcome the chance to learn more about it?

Because people don't want to be sold something, that's why.

If an interpreter goes out all keened-up and gung-ho, of course s/he's going to scare off people. Some people because they've experienced over-the-top campground shows in the national parks (although I personally have some pretty fond memories of over-the-top campground shows); even more people because they're expecting the but wait! There's more! segment of the spiel. We don't tend to trust the overenthusiastic, do we? I know that I've done plenty of avoiding eye contact when I've been to trade fairs and things like that. Why should it be any different on a nature trail?

So how does a person avoid that reaction and actually get people to talk to her, then? It's embarrassingly simple. Look like you don't really care if you're talked to. Be doing something, and let people approach you to ask about it if they're interested. Over the years I've done everything from fingerweaving at a booth I was manning, to pretending to do a pond survey (when really I just wanted kids to do some dipping with me), to field sketching (some of the worst sketches I've ever made, but that wasn't the point), to -- as I did this past weekend -- simply taking out the camera and staying out at the bird blind for a while. If visitors asked what I was taking pictures of I'd tell them (honestly) that I was looking for subject matter for our blog, but then I'd go on to point out a few interesting things I'd happened to notice while I was there. It's much more casual, it's much more friendly, and it's much less likely to annoy the pants off of people than being all INTERPRETER can be.

Incidentally, and going back to the sketch thing for a moment, it always amuses me to see how many people will come up and ask what I'm drawing when I'm going about things that way. If I was an artist it would completely tick me off to be constantly interrupted like that, but since I'm not I just use it as a way to open conversations. It does make me wonder how anyone ever gets any serious field sketching done without interruption, though.

Maybe they just don't notice. I'm not exactly known for my ability to concentrate, after all.

Anyway, no roves for me today. Just as well, since we're under yet another severe thunderstorm watch. Funny thing, but it's impossible to get anyone interested in your nature information when the sky's about to collapse...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails