Thursday 28 February 2013

Chapter 1718: Wherein Dee has officially hit way too jaded

Photo? Has nothing to do with anything. As usual.

----------

I just watched a video. A video designed to elicit a very specific emotional response. It's here, if you're interested. A caveat, though: the cause is a good one, but the squeamish shouldn't watch the video while eating. Or maybe even while thinking about eating.

Anyway, if you watched that, how did you feel? Compassionate? Disgusted? Just plain ill?

I thought it was... interesting.

Yeah, I turned into Spock at some point during the proceedings. Is that normal? I mean, yeah I do have a zoology degree and I've seen some pretty gross things, but should I just have watched it and then read the write-up to learn more about the organisation? That's what I did. My mind basically went wow, people suffer from some pretty disgusting parasites. That was the extent of my emotional involvement.

Now, some may say that it's a pretty classic response to want to distance yourself from harsh realities and I suppose it is, but personally? I think I'll blame the internet, or at least modern communication. We see too much stuff. There's just too much of it out there. Is it so weird that eventually the brain just starts reacting without emotion?

Or is it just that this thing had too much of a build-up to the SHOCKING thing that we were about to be shown? Maybe I looked at it like a dare or something without realising it. Got my back up a bit. I dunno, and I need to get back to work so I don't have time to talk myself into some pseudophilosophy, although that might be fun.

It would all end with us deciding that yes, I am too jaded, though. I guess if you want to you can come up with your own middle to that conclusion. I need to go back to playing newsletter editor now.



Hmm. Maybe that's why I'm currently incapable of feeling...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails