Tuesday 9 April 2013

Something about cameras or something


Look, boys and girls -- it's fun with shutter speeds! And melting, which certainly isn't occurring at the moment.

Oh, that's bound to put me in a bad mood. Let's start again.

Today's post title is because I didn't know what I was going to blather about until I had a look at what was on my nerdstick. I'd forgotten that the other week when I was in at my father's place I'd taken a few shots just playing around with camera settings. "Something" is my usual placeholder title until I figure out a topic, and I guess was just too lazy to delete it today.

Sad when it comes to that.

Anyway, one of the reasons I'm getting more than frustrated at this protracted winter is that I'm dying to get out and play with the new (ish. Am I still allowed to call it new at this point?) camera, and because I'm me I kinda need growing things to do that. I need leaves. Flowers. Spiders. My two fans know my usual suspects.

I just need life, not snow. I'm the same way with my doodles. I have such a hard time getting interested in things that aren't organic, and with my short attention span it's hard to keep focused if I'm not at least a little interested.

That's going to make things a bit, well, interesting in my work life in the next few weeks, but you'll no doubt hear more about that as the time comes so I'll leave it for now.

Anyway (again), I've got to the point with the camera where I'm ready to start playing with different functions and settings, and the season is dragging me down because of that. Since it's been quite a while since I've used an SLR I spent the first few weeks almost entirely on automatic while I tried to remember how to hold the thing. Then I started trying to do my own focusing. Then I got frustrated. Then I refocused the eyepiece. Then I got less frustrated.

Funny how hard it is to focus a camera when you've got the eyepiece on the wrong diopter...

Anyway (the third), I'm ready to start tinkering. Playing with settings. Framing pictures instead of just taking snapshots. Making mistakes (one of the true joys of digital photography. No, I'm serious. Delete makes me happy). Taking freaking photographs.

And today I wouldn't even be able to take a picture of running meltwater.


GAH.

Stupid lack of spring.

----------

I don't know whether I'm trying to move things along or just making sure that I have absolutely no photos to post here, but when I uploaded today's pointlessness I also deleted almost all of my leftover, unused-as-of-yet pictures of last year's flowers. There you go, spring. Ball's in your court. Get yer arse in gear or this'll be one empty blog.

Yeah, that'll show you all right.



Sigh.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails