Tuesday 26 October 2010

Oh, conflicted

We're having a staff art show in the gallery at work again this year. We're also having a fundraiser which involves, amongst other things, an art sale.

I've submitted for both events.

It sort of gets me wound up a bit, because I AM NOT AN ARTIST. I mean, emphatically not an artist. Oh sure, I doodle a little (check out the other blog if you're desperate to suffer through that sort of thing), but they're doodles. I don't take them seriously. I can't take them seriously, because if I did they wouldn't be fun.

Um, for those new to the program, I have a real issue with my hobbies becoming anything but hobbies. I'm always afraid I'll lose something if things start to get serious. And for anyone who thinks I'm overreacting and that something I love will always be something I love no matter where it takes me... well, just ask me how often I've played my piano since I stopped giving singing lessons a few years ago.

The problem is that agreeing to have my doodles shown or, Whomever forbid, sold is like admitting to myself that they have merit. Or at least more merit than "mere" doodles (although a good doodle, I think, can be more than a "mere". But whatever). And if a person admits that they have merit, then a person should probably put more effort into making them actual art.

But I'm not an artist.

Gah.

Hey, I know full well that in the long run this is all no big deal and I really shouldn't let it bother me, but I wouldn't be my little old OLF self if I could simply accept that hey, maybe at a fundraiser someone will buy something that is, in fact, just a doodle and it doesn't have to change anything. After all, did it change anything when one of my pointless photos turned out to not be pointless after all and ended up getting published? No. No, it did not. I still take photos that are just as pointless, and I still enjoy it.

And I'll probably keep on with the pointless doodling too, even if someone buys one of my things.





I'LL FREAK THE HELL RIGHT OUT, but I'll probably keep doodling...

Sooo not an artist.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails