Tuesday 9 August 2011

Follow, follow

A warning about today's post: I'm trying out something in Blogger in Draft for fun today. It may lead to even more nonsense than usual if I'm not paying enough attention, though. Not that my two fans would likely notice amongst the nonsense that's usually here, but I thought I'd mention it all the same.

Another warning, this time about today's pointless photo: this is my favourite type of daylily that's found in my father's yard ( I say this every year, for those new to the program), and as a result you'll probably be seeing a fair amount of them in the next few days.

Oh heavens. For anyone out there using Blogger, go to the Blogger in Draft posting page and try Scribe ( the last button -- the pencil). The whole autocomplete thing is an odd, odd feeling while blogging. Wouldn't be strange on a phone, but here? And I'm getting a kick out of the suggested phrases with the multiple option. I have a weird sense of humour that way, though. But it's even suggesting things with Canadian spelling...

Anyway. That's not why we're all here today. Or at least not why I am. Oh, and after last night's weirdfest brought on by delay of posting, I hope everyone appreciates that I'm posting now. That is, posting before I get distracted by things other than autocompletion.

Um, what? You say that I'm already well on my way?  Well, let me prove you wrong by actually making it to the topic at hand.

Autocomplete knew that I was going to say topic at hand, by the way.

I have a question for those of you who use internet following in its various forms. I'm including following like we have here on the blogs through Friend Connect, and following people on things like Twitter, friending on things like Facebook ( not that I'd know much about that, still being a stubborn Facebook holdout)... and what the heck. Let's include RSS feeds, even though they're not really in the same category since the people whose feeds you've subscribed to don't generally know that you've done it. For those of you who follow, why do you do it and what do you do with it afterwards?

Here's what I mean. I have two different forms of following in my life at the moment. At work we follow a fair number of people on Twitter. Too many, I sometimes think, but that's what you get when you have several people using the same account.  Some of the feeds we follow for information or news, some we follow because it's local personalities that we like, and some, frankly, we follow because it looks good. It could be professional organisations, or people we followed just because they're following us. That sort of thing. Honestly? I have some of those feeds muted on the reader I personally use. Does standard Twitter have that feature, anyone? It comes in handy. It means that if you don't feel like reading someone's tweets for a while you can just not see them as opposed to completely unfollowing them.

For myself on my own time, though, I follow in a different way. I follow only the people I want to follow. I follow a few people on Twitter, yes (I do have an account, but I don't tweet myself. I just use it for following), and I follow an awful lot of blogs.

Here's the second part of the question, then. I'll reiterate it for those who might have forgotten. Once you follow, what do you do with it afterwards? Do you follow just so that people can add to their list of followers, or do you actually read the feeds you follow?

Personally, I do. If you see deeol (or deeolworld, depending on which service we're talking about) on your list of followers, that means that I'm really checking up on what you're doing. It means that I was genuinely interested when I hit that follow button.

Of course, it also means that if I become uninterested I'm not shy about hitting the unfollow.

By the way, don't you think that the grammar grannies amongst our ancestors would shudder at the word unfollow?

----------

Some time later...

Well, an unexpected computer restart has officially put me off my rhythm, such as it was. Inasmuch as I had a point coming in the blather, I suppose it had something to do with wondering whether the followers I have on my two blogs are actually followers or people who just happened by one day and figured they'd give me another name on the list as a way of saying Good Job! Either way's ok, really. It just makes me curious.

Oh, and for anyone out there that I'm following: I've been noticing that one of the unfortunate things with me and following is that if I'm following you I have even less of a tendency to comment than I normally would because I figure that you already know that I'm following you. Yes, I know that it's completely weird. And yes, now that I've noticed I think I'll try to do a bit more to change that. But if by chance you are following me and I'm following you, well.... hi. Maybe we should have coffee sometime. Or tea for me, since I don't do coffee...





I think I should probably end this post now, don't you? Yeah, I figured. Later, all.

3 comments:

Sparroweye said...

I haven't seen you folllowing me. I am the same, sparroweye63. Just add number. But I get a message of every new follower. and if they are following for business purposes, I block them. Or if they tweet me. Win an ipad, etc. I block them. I follow people who love nature, I follow people like Steve Martin or Ruth buzzi who make me laugh. Or Sarah Silverman. I read them everyday. And I do follow news tweets. Thats all. Bye I am on Twitter, Facebook, flickr, and I have two blogs. Now I must go fill the bird baths and hummer feeders.

Sparroweye said...

ps. This old gardener whose yard I bought, has every manner of daylilies all over the property. All in disarray. and full of weeds. All gone to seed right now. I swear I can hear him mutter at me when I trim anything back. He is dead tho.

deeol said...

I do follow one of your blogs, but I'm not on Facebook at all. I have a Twitter account just to follow a few people I find funny (I've not used it to tweet anything). Most of my social media activities are for work, which I find a bit odd. I never in a million years would have thought I'd spend so much time tweeting for a nature centre.

Related Posts with Thumbnails