Thursday 18 August 2011

Melon head

As I sit here at my desk I'm looking at an empty plate that used to have fruit on it. I would have taken a picture, but then I didn't figure you'd be very thrilled about an empty plate that used to have fruit on it, so I decided to just post a hollyhock instead.

I like hollyhocks. I kind of have a thing for cottage-gardeny flowers. Blame my paternal grandmother, I guess.

Anyway.

Oooo. Kind of early for an anyway. Especially after a few days of non-blogging. I could have blogged yesterday, I suppose, but the lack of brain would have been visible even through a computer screen, I suspect.

Anyway. About the fruit plate. Or the non-fruit plate, as it is now.

It's not unusual for staff here to occasionally bring in baking, whether it's home baked or just from a quick trip to the Canadian institution of Tim Horton's. Today, though, one of the girls brought in some fruit instead. Blueberries, pineapple, mango, melon...

MELON!

I am such a melon head.

I'm not sure why, but I am. It doesn't really matter what kind of melon, either. Today it was cantaloupe (or musk melon, which is what our version of cantaloupe really is. My understanding is that the word refers to a different animal in Europe. Or, erm, melon), but I'm good for honeydew, watermelon... heck, I'm good to try pretty much any melon once. I really like melon, is what I'm saying.

And if someone offers me melon already cut up into convenient melony pieces? I'm a five-year-old.

A happy five-year-old.

Maybe it has something to do with my whole cooking-for-one lifestyle, but if someone offers me fruit that I haven't had to fuss over and then wonder about what to do with the leftovers, I'm all in. Let's face it: melon for one person can be a slightly tricky thing, unless you're willing to pay the extra for those pre-made fruit cups in the produce section. And then there's the whole not knowing what condition the fruit was in before it was selected to be a pre-made fruit cup. I'm pretty sure that what you find in most of those things wasn't pretty in the first place.

As a result, any fruit bigger than, say, an apple can be a little difficult for a single melon head.

Which is why, I figure, that on the rare occasions that I go out to breakfast with someone, I'm all about the fruit plate. Nicely presented fruit, with maybe a little cottage cheese or yoghurt and plenty of melon? Ohhh yeah. So much better than the thought of pancakes or greasy breakfast sausage. Who would go that heavy first thing in the morning when they could have melon?




Well, ok, a lot of people. Which is fine.

Leaves more melon for me...







Please note that the above post title did not refer to anything mentioned here or pictured here or anything made by the company here. Although I do like lemons. Maybe enough to make that a pointless post. You know, at some point.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails