Sunday 6 May 2012

Chapter 1565: Wherein Dee actually comes up with a post about gaming, of all things

Please note that I changed the post title AFTER I typed what's below. What was the original title? None of your business. So there. Nyah.

----------

Sorry. I could have used a bit more sleep. A fair bit more sleep, come to it. The father figure had to be somewhere this morning, and I think that we were both probably anticipating it a little too much.

So. Um.

Daffodil, then? This particular one is the incredible fading flower. I have photos of it in previous years being very yellow, but these past couple of seasons it's decided that it is, in fact, cream-coloured. Its prerogative, I suppose.



What else? Oh, I know. Here's something completely pointless. You'll have to give me a moment to go upstairs, though. I need to grab the toy.

Ok, back. And the toy, for anyone who hasn't been paying attention, would be my 3DS.

For those new to the program, I'm most decidedly not a gamer. What I am most decidedly is physically and reflexively (word of the day, I guess. I didn't even know that it was a word for sure, but spellcheck seems to be ok with it) incompetent, which is probably why I find myself enjoying hand-held gaming. No one has to watch me screw up royally, so I can just amuse myself. Having said that, though, I have to admit that between my ineptitude and, frankly, my own tastes, I own almost nothing for this machine that actually requires any speed and/or agility.

Anyway, in honour of what's apparently become List Weekend and the fact that I started this post with absolutely no thought of a topic at all, we (me 'n alllll the voices) now present for you: The Current Contents of My 3DS, along with the occasional sarcastic comment or several.

First, the current game card:
  • MarioKart 7. Actually, it's the only 3D game card that I own.The rest are from when I still had the DSi. As for 3D stuff, it seems easier and cheaper to download it for the most part rather than buying a physical game. Am I any good at MarioKart? NO. But it sure is fun.
Second, the built-in software. I suppose this is more for the information of anyone who's not used a 3DS than anything else, since it doesn't reflect anything I've done to it myself:
  • Camera
  • Sound
  • Mii Maker
  • Mii Plaza
  • eShop
  • AR Games (which I play occasionally, but the lighting in my apartment generally isn't good enough for the machine to read the AR cards well)
  • Face Raiders (which probably causes a lot of accidentally tossed DSs for those who play it regularly. Shades of the original Wii controllers?)
  • Activity Log (yeah, like I need statistical reminders of how badly I waste my time some days)
  • Download Play (which I've never used because apparently I have no friends. Or at least no friends with 3DSs)
  • System Settings (MY FAVOURITE!. Yes, I'm totally kidding)
  • Nintendo Zone (which I have never been able to make work. Any time I've been in a zone it has trouble connecting. Anyone else have that problem?)
  • Nintendo Video (which actually has its moment of being cool, depending on what they send out. Dinosaur Office...Rahr!)
  • Swapnote (which I'm sure is loved dearly by teenaged girls everywhere)
Oh, and of course the World's Slowest Internet Browser. Or second slowest, I'll admit. It's faster than the DSi browser for sure, but that's kind of like saying that a big snail is faster than a little snail. They're still both snails, no matter how much garlic butter you cook them with.

And now, the meat of the matter. Let's call it Things that I've Actually Downloaded By Choice. Yeah, and judge me as you will. I already said that I'm not a gamer; now here's the proof:
  •  Art Academy: First Semester. It was free on club points, and it has some merits. Plus, it was a way to free-draw with the touch screen when I was in the mood, which was all I had until I got...
  • Colors! 3D. I haven't used this much yet (have I said anything today about my wrist? Oh. Well, consider it said now, then), but looking through the features it seems like a more sophisticated painting tool than I honestly expected it to be. I guess you folks will be able to see for yourselves what you think when I eventually have enough fine motor control in my left hand to try making and posting some digital efforts. Digital doodles from me? I bet the world can't wait.
  • Zen Pinball. Ok, honestly? I have way more fun with this than I really should. And the graphics are incredible.
  • Fun! Fun! Minigolf Touch! Exclamation points theirs, not mine. It was...fairly cheap. I find it... fairly boring. But maybe I haven't given it enough chance yet. Or maybe it's just that my Mii in this game is about seven feet tall. I'm not, and if I had the choice I wouldn't be in cyberversion either.
  • Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary Edition. It was free. And it's an example of where my lack of gaming skills comes into play. I mostly spend my time dying too quickly.
  • Zuma's Revenge. I used to play it on the PopCap site before my father's computer decided that it didn't like it. At the moment I'm stuck on a level, so I've put it aside for a while. Fun, though.
  • Plants vs. Zombies. Another PopCap game, for those familiar with PopCap stuff. I like PopCap stuff, it seems.
  • 5 in 1 Mahjong. It tends to be a rule in my life that I need some sort of solitaire game around to fill the time when necessary. I have DS game cards with card-style solitaire; the Mahjong is handy when I don't have one of those cards around.
  • Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive! AAAUGH. This game turns me into a five-year-old. I spend more time than I'd like to admit creating little monsters and sending them off "exploring". It's stupidly addictive. Emphasis on the stupid, but I can't help myself.
  • Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Demo Version). This demo has firmly convinced me that I have no business buying the full game card version. It'd probably be a lot of fun for those of you with coordination and timing, though.
  • Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! Another free one with club points. It's a fun puzzle-style game, but it's currently been put aside for...
  • Pushmo. The design's too cute (I don't do cute well) but the puzzles are great. And the 3D's not bad either.
  • Mario's Picross. This one (another free on points. I had a points build-up at one time. Not so much now) is from what they call the Virtual Console, which is a platform for playing old GameBoy games on the 3DS. According to the screen I have up, it was originally released in 1995. Yep, black and white and everything. Fantastic puzzle, though. It's the kind of thing that shows you that the classic games are classic for a reason. Plus, the Virtual Console games are cheap downloads. I'll probably buy a couple more at some point.
  • Cut the Rope. I haven't had this long, but I love it. Another addicting puzzle. I had Wheat try it the other day, and he says there's some similarity with Angry Birds (although this one involves gravity rather than slingshots). I haven't played Angry Birds, but if it's anything like this I can see why people get obsessed.
Well, that's it at the moment. I imagine that there'll be more since I've got past the whole not-sure-I-want-to-start-downloading thing in an obviously big way. And man, this is a lot of wordage for a day when I had nothing to post. Ok with everyone if I stop typing now?





Yep. It's ok with me too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails