Friday 4 May 2012

So gauche

The pointless iris photo is, obviously, from last year. I posted it only to go with yesterday's post of the iris seed pod photo. Guess maybe I should have posted the before before the after?

Ah well.

----------

Today's probably short post is to remind everyone that I'm left-handed. Extremely left-handed. That's not too common, just like being extremely right-handed isn't too common. Most people have a preference for a hand, of course, but in a pinch can switch out reasonably easily. Me? Not so much. I use my left hand for pretty much everything. Sure, I've adapted to using most right-hand-designed tools with my left hand (you more or less have to if you're going to exist in industrialised society) and this isn't going to be a the world isn't built for meeeee rant (although the spouts on ladles kind of tick me off. Really, people? You can't be bothered to put a spout on both sides? How hard can that be?), but the fact is that I do everything with my left hand (as I'm constantly being reminded of with the current wrist situation).

Everything.

Oh, except.

There are, believe it or not, a very few select things that I'm better at doing right-handed than left-handed.

Such as, Dee?

Well, mousing would be one. Computer mousing. When mouses (part of me really wants to say mice) first started coming into use (and shut up, world. It doesn't make me old that I remember a world without mousing. The fact that I remember using 5 1/4 inch floppy disks on computers without hard drives probably does, though) I realised that every computer situation that I'd run up against from then on would be set up with the mouse on the right-hand side. So, even though it was possible to switch mouse button functions around for lefties, I made the conscious decision to learn how to mouse right-handed. And now? I completely suck at left-hand mousing. Completely. No aim at all.

Same thing goes with cameras. Cameras are right-handed. If you've never thought of that before, then you're not left-handed. Cameras are right-handed, so if you like to take pictures you either awkwardly try to cross-hand the shutter button, or you just bloody well learn to use your right hand.

So yeah. I can do a thing or two with my right hand, but that doesn't make me any less leftie. Writing's never going to happen with the other hand, or drawing, or anything that involves any sort of fine motor skill. Which means, of course, that I'm just going to keep injuring my left wrist, and I'm occasionally going to find myself constantly hitting the ALT key with my brace splint...

Yeah, I've hit the tired-of-typing point now. If this post seems even more fractured than usual, it's been interrupted a bit because (oddly enough) I've been dealing with work things at work. I don't even want to read this back to see how little sense it makes, really. So... posting... now.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails