Saturday 19 May 2012

New photo!

It's Mountain Ash (aka Rowan to some of you). Oh, and there might be a ladybird in there somewhere as well maybe.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Even if it is sort of a useless shot. I promise that there's some not-ladybird photos coming up soon.

Did you notice the guest appearance by the photographer's shadow, by the way?

----------

I was intending to make this an actual, readable (well, as readable as they get, anyway) blather today, but I'm not sure how it's going to go since the neck's not all that happy. For those new to the program, my mother was kind enough to genetically gift me with her chronically bad neck, and every once in a while mine goes through periods of trying to make sure that I'm immobile. I'm not immobile at the moment, but for the last two days I've had the grinding and the occasional twinge that remind me that one wrong move could mean not turning my head for a while. At this stage it's just inconvenient (although I'll have a heck of a headache by the end of the day from not being lined up right), but it's sooo much fun to know that all I have to do is sleep wrong tonight and tomorrow will consist of me and my bed getting to know each other very well.

There's your warning, I suppose.

Ok, since I've already brought the topic up, let me add one more thing to it. As I'm sure any of you who have an ongoing health issue know, the world is full of suggesters. The people who wonder if you've tried *fill in the blank*, I mean. Some of them are very innocent suggesters who think that maybe you've just never heard of *fill in the blank*, some of them are "expert" suggesters who just know that everything would be fine if you'd only try *fill in the blank*, some of them have family who were instantly cured by *fill in the blank*... you get where I'm going, I hope. I try to be patient. I really do. It's generally well-meaning. It's just... well, I've been dealing with this for years. There are things that I've tried, there are things that I refuse to try (someday I'll probably blow a gasket and go off on a rant about the religion of one particular pseudoscience the next time it's suggested that I try it, but for now I'll just leave you to guess what it might be), there are things that just plain don't work, and I've probably heard about all of them by now. And besides, it's a very rare day that I'll let anyone fiddle with my neck when I know how easy it is to screw it up.

So, um, thanks for your help, but all the same...

Incidentally, and it's funny that this came to mind the other day because I haven't seen him for years, but outside of an actual doctor's office there's really only ever been one person I've let anywhere near my neck. He was a work colleague. The whole thing was entirely innocent -- really -- but boy, that man gave good neck massages. Really, really good hands.

Yes, it was too entirely innocent.

And no, it's not the kind of thing that usually happens at my workplace.

And shut up.

----------

Ok, and with that little... moment?... let me end with a complete detour. It's no secret to my two fans that I've been a Hugh Laurie fan for a very long time. It also shouldn't be surprising that he's been doing a bit of press lately, what with House ending and him about to go on an extended tour for his blues album (which I still haven't bought. Bad fan. Bad. Especially because the music's pretty decent). Put those two things together and you shouldn't be shocked that I was watching Jay Leno the other night when Hugh Laurie was on. Actually, I watched the night before as well, for Joel McHale (I guess I have a thing for tall funny people? Yeah, probably). Which brings me to this question, and I'm asking it honestly of you Leno fans out there:

Why?

Why does Leno have fans?

For two nights in a row I sat through the monologue, waiting in vain for it to be funny. And the interviews? The man simply doesn't listen. Conversations are supposed to be two-way, last time I checked, and I watched two smart, witty guests have half of their good lines missed because Leno was too busy being... I dunno, Leno? And it's not exactly the first time I've seen that happen on his show. I realise that being entertained is partly a matter of personal taste, but if I was going to watch the Tonight Show on a regular basis I'd have to invest in a supply of nerf balls because I'd seriously need something to throw at the television to release the frustration.

I guess it's a good thing that there are other late night shows, then. And never mind the fact that I usually watch them in the morning. That's another topic for another time, and I see that I've already got plenty of words down here.

And besides, I feel much the same way about Oprah (for different reasons) as I do about Leno, and the viewing world in general has already told me I'm wrong on both counts. In the end, what do I know?



I know it's time to stop tying; I suppose I will, then.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

Oh, forgot to add. Love the Pansies. But drop the "font". Looks like sloppy handwriting. Rip House. I watched the series finale last night. Great show. But all good things have to end sometime. I only watch Jimmy Kimmel or David Letterman. My husband hates Dave. I warmed to him after he got his old girlfriend pregnant and had a child at what, 60. He has mellowed. I dont care for Leno. He makes my skin crawl.

Related Posts with Thumbnails