Saturday 6 June 2009

Mirror, mirror (writing) on the wall...

Hidden talents. I have a few, I suppose. The vast majority are completely and totally useless, but there's one vaguely interesting one that might be worth a few words. I guess. But will you be able to read them?

Back in the days of passing notes in school, my friends and I somehow decided that it would be more fun (or maybe more challenging for teachers to decipher? I'm not sure which) to start writing things in mirror image. Or printing things, to be more accurate. None of my friends could seem to master cursive mirror writing, but I didn't find it too difficult. I used to be pretty good at it, too, but I'm a little out of practice now. Still, it doesn't take too much of a retry to get my mirror writing almost up to the same speed as my non-mirror writing.

But is it readable? Surprisingly, yes. Equally surprising, if you hold it up to a mirror to read it looks an awful lot like my usual left-handed scrawl.

As far as the whys of this... um... talent, I choose to blame the wiring of the left-handed brain. I have very little trouble reading things upside-down, backwards, or in mirror image, so it stands to reason that with enough effort I can write that way too. I've jokingly called it left-handed dyslexia in the past, but I think there's a tiny bit of truth to that label.

So... does this count as a hidden talent, or just a useless one?

1 comment:

Caryn Ouwehand said...

That is sweet Diane, and totally an awesome "geekin'out" kind of party trick.

Related Posts with Thumbnails