Sunday 14 June 2009

Pointless photo of the day:

Anemones and some other stuff. From my father's garden. It'll be a while before my own planters have anything to show for themselves because I was lazy (and cheap) this year and just seeded them rather than putting in bedding plants.

Seeded with what, you ask?

If you didn't ask, don't you think that's a little rude? You could at least feign a tiny bit of interest... Let's try it again, shall we?

Seeded with what? Well, I'm glad you asked. My usual sunflowers for the chickadees, and a couple of different kinds of mixed flower seeds. Yep, I was the ultimate in lazy and didn't even bother to pick out specific types of flowers. In a weird little olf way I'm kind of glad I did it, though. Now that stuff is sprouting up I find myself wondering what it is that I'm growing this year. It's sort of like Christmas, really. I only have the vaguest idea of what might be in those little packages. Things might look like hell come August, but at the moment it's one big guessing game.

I'm ok with that.

The only thing I'm really missing is the scarlet runner beans for the hummingbirds. Last year they were very poor -- lots of vine but hardly any flowers -- and I figured that I may as well give them a rest for a bit. It might have been just last year's weather, but I've never had runner beans of any sort do so badly on my greenhouse of a balcony.

South-facing with protective side-walls. If it was glassed in it would probably hit 50C easily.

Anyway.

I've been using anyway rather a lot these past few days, haven't I? Oh well.

Anyway, I think I'll cut this short today so that I can do a couple more computerish things and then hit the road before the day gets stupidly hot. How exactly are we supposed to cope when we go from having frost warnings a few days ago to having nearly 30C highs this weekend? Gotta love Alberta weather.

Later, folks.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails