Sunday 22 May 2011

If the world didn't end then why is Dad giving away the Lego?

And yes, I do realise that the supposed rapture wasn't meant to be the end of the world, per se.

And... that's all I'm going to say about the whole rapture business, really.

----------

Now, about the Lego. When I got to my father's place this weekend I couldn't help but notice a familiar homemade polyester sack sitting in the entryway.

That's the bag that holds the Lego. Of course I'd recognise it. And, naturally, of course I'd wonder what it was doing in the entryway instead of hanging around in the storeroom (sadly, knew exactly where it would have been hanging around in the storeroom, too). Turns out that he's giving it to a friend of his; I'm presuming for his grandchildren, but I didn't ask for any details so I don't really know for sure.

Dad? The Lego? Seriously?

Giving away the Lego.

Man.

My first reaction was to turn all five-year-old and whine about it, but then he said if I wanted it I should take it. Then I had to get all back to reality (that only sucks a bit) and remember that A) I have no place to put the Lego, B) I probably wouldn't do anything with it if I did keep it, and C) it's old enough that it's likely getting a little brittle. The last part I did mention to Dad, since it might not be a good idea for unsupervised kids to be playing with it if it's going to crack or shatter. Yay me for being a responsible adult.

And yes, much as it pains me to say it, I'm willing to let the Lego go.

Like a lot of kids, my brother and I had a period of really being into Lego. My brother built creative boy-type things, and I made houses. Almost always houses, yes. Looking back they probably weren't very exciting houses, but I liked them anyway. I don't know the why of the houses, really. I just liked making structures for some reason.

I still do, actually. Nowadays they're more likely to be free-form abstract-ish patterns than houses, but I still have my moments of just simply wanting to do something with my hands. Not with Lego anymore, but with magnets, coin-connectors, modelling clay... that sort of thing.

You know, maybe I should try sculpture sometime. I've never done that. Not unless you count the play-doh silliness that shows up every once in a while, which you really shouldn't. Oh, and I did make a clay duck head once. That's about it for me and sculpture on purpose, though.

Anyway, in the spirit of saying goodbye to the childhood Lego (and using pieces I found at the top of the bag, since I didn't want to dump the whole thing out. There's a fair amount of Lego there, and I didn't want to have to pick it all up again), today's pointless photo features one of the little modelling clay men (um, a fugitive from the other blog, for anyone who hasn't had the pleasure) being slightly confused about 70s Lego helicopter-headed ladder-tractor man's offer of a faucet and a set of wheels, while 70s Lego woman waves from her parapet.

I, um, did mention that I was using random pieces from the top of the bag...






Yeah. Maybe I should reconsider the whole sculpting thing after all.

Bye, Lego.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails