Saturday 14 May 2011

Pointless photos?

I feel like I should remind my two fans that now that things are starting to grow again, the fresh new pointless photos will remain as weird as ever.

But are they really as pointless as all that? Do I really just post random photos of flowers and spiders with no other reasoning behind it other than adding some colour to the blog?

Well, sometimes, yes.

But not always.

Sometimes they're space fillers, but sometimes it might be worthwhile looking a little closer at them. Sometimes, believe it or not, I'm giving you little hints on how I see things.

I like patterns. Textures. Lines. And I find that organic things have patterns, textures, and lines that interest me. If I'm giving you a weird close-up of a leaf or a flower, it might be because the way the thing has grown has, for some reason,  fascinated me. I also like negative space and the unexpected shape you can find in it, so if I take a middling photo and crop it oddly (like, say, today's featured grape hyacinth), it might occasionally be worth looking at the "frame" rather than the actual subject.

I guess I like the challenge of seeing things a little differently sometimes. Yeah, I'm taking pictures of "things", but I'm often looking at them in a more abstract context. Do I expect you to? Oh, not necessarily. Not everyone needs to see things the way I do. That'd be more than a bit odd.

Oh, and speaking of the way I see things, if you've been around the blog for a while and have noticed a distinct lack of landscape photos, I can assure you that there's a reason for it. Simply put, nearsightedness. Yep. In my myopic existence I tend not to find landscapes that interesting. Vistas, yes. I do enjoy the grand view. Your average landscape, though, is never going to hold my attention longer than the smaller things found within it. Why struggle to make out the far details when there's so many closer things to discover?

Anyway. All this is by way of saying that, as we move into my picture-taking happy place after the boring wasteland of winter, I hope that every once in a while you'll take the time to click on the photo and look at the larger version. Sometimes there'll be something more to it; sometimes not. Either way, there's always some sort of reason for the daily pointless photo.

Even if it is just to take up space.

Kind of like this post.





Too easy to tell that I had nothing on the brain this morning? Yeah, I figured.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails