Saturday 14 January 2012

And now, the end is near...

But first... I just noticed from the stats that someone got to the blog by searching the phrase "stupid dairy queen mouth commercials". This makes me happy. Happy because it means that someone besides me finds them terribly annoying.

Anyway.

Um, no. On second thought, I'm not going to start the anyway thing again. Let's have a line of dashes instead.

----------

Now, about the post title. Don't worry, it's not the end of the blog. Not that you'd worry about that anyway (stop it with the anyway...), but on the off-chance that one of my two fans would worry if the blog disappeared, I'll state outright that it's not going to. Unless Blogger decides that it should, I suppose, but I doubt that things are going that way. No, the end I'm referring to is just the likely end of posts from me (Hellooo Ontario office? Come out of hiding at least once in the next while?) for about a week or so, judging by the forecast.

She's gonna be cold out there, folks. Tomorrow's supposed to be above -20C (barely), but the windchill will be -30C. After that? Below -20C across the board. I've laid in my food supply, I've taken home work to do, and I'm planning to batten down the hatches and not come out until I can do so without fear of, you know, dying.

This is a stupid country to live in when you're allergic to the cold.

And can I say that I'm annoyed with the continuing optimistic predictions from Environment Canada? As usual. See, this is the way things happen (every year, I might add): Every January we here in Alberta get a cold snap. Every year it lasts for at least a week because the stupid stubborn cold air isn't easy for another system to push out of the way. This happens every year, did I mention? And yet every year the Environment Canada weather forecast starts out by saying that things will only last for one or two days. Then they add another one or two days. Then another one or two days. Do they think that we can't take reality? Do they think that we can't remember reality?

THIS HAPPENS EVERY DAMNED YEAR.

Ah well. It's not like getting worked up about it will prevent next week from happening. At least I was smart enough this time to make sure I have plenty of take-home work to tackle without the distractions of the office. And if all else fails, I have plenty of apartment distractions to keep me occupied while I'm stuck inside.

Which, um, sometimes prevent me from getting to the work in the first place...



It's not going to happen this time, though. I will get work done. And then I'll get cleaning done. And then? I'll... probably watch silly British sketch comedy on DVD for a while, knowing me.

For anyone who has my phone number, I'll be available by text if you feel like taking pity on someone who will no doubt be slowly going stir-crazy.

----------

One thing this whole cold thing is going to affect is my usual blog run-down of my favourite drunken awards show, otherwise known as the Golden Globes. I can't say I watch the Golden Globes for the awards -- most of the time I haven't seen a thing that's nominated -- but I do like the looser feel of the looser people hopped up on champagne. Having said that, I seem to remember being disappointed last year. Maybe everyone was too busy being uptight about the fact that Ricky Gervais actually said things that weren't worshipful? Could be. I suppose it took the buzz off for a few of them. At any rate, I'll be watching the pointless awards show tomorrow as well as the hours of pointless red carpet coverage on E! beforehand, even if the blog world will miss the chance to hear my words of wisdom about the pointlessness (and pointless fashions, of course) afterwards.

Oh, and gentlemen?

My absence does NOT absolve you if you're not wearing a bow tie with your tux.





Just so you know.

----------

One last thing. If for some reason you're one of the twelve people in the internet world who hasn't seen this video yet, you really should. Even without the nifty guitar trick, they've got a very good vocal sound, I think. I hope some good comes out of all of this for the band in the end.

3 comments:

Linda Hensley said...

I have an anyway problem too. Anyway, fun reading! I'll probably be watching the Golden Globes too for the same reasons :)

Sparroweye said...

I thought Ricky was awful on the Golden Globes. The only funny part on the show was when William Macy a presenter sang a little ditty. I want Showtime so I can watch that series Shameless. How did the deep freeze week go? I love that music group. And I posted it on my facebook with a shoutout to YOU. ha ha. http://www.facebook.com/candace.pfau

Sparroweye said...

The group from your video link were on Ellen Degeneres today singing "Somebody That I Used to Know" I think they have arrived. Their video went viral with 30 million hits. I think they are fantastically original. Can't wait to see what they do next. Ellen gave them all brand new guitars so they don't all have to use the one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails