Thursday 26 January 2012

Stupid annoying work things

Grape leaves aren't stupid annoying work things, if you wondered. I just really need to take some new photos at some point.

So, stupid annoying work things, otherwise known as I Still Haven't Thought of a Topic, So Let's Just Go With What's In Front of Me. Before I get into this, I should make the point that I do like my job. A lot. I've been doing it for twenty years now, after all, and my love of inertia isn't so vast that I wouldn't have found something else to do if this job sucked.

There are always annoyances, though. Any job has them. They're stupid annoyances (in my mind, anyway) both because they could be so easily fixed and because it's probably stupid of me to get annoyed by them. It's a problem on both my and my coworkers' parts, is what I'm saying.

Enough preamble? Let's begin.

Annoying work thing #1: Photocopier stupidity. We have a couple of people who regularly leave the... hmm... what's it called? The top cover-thingy? Document feeder? That'll do; you know what I mean. The thing that covers the platen. It bugs me when people leave it up. Isn't that just an invitation for the platen to get all dusty (and since no one seems to think to clean it... ah yes, another stupid photocopier thing)? Besides, it takes less than a second to put the thing down after you've lifted it, right? And let me add to this section the practice -- normally female, unfortunately -- of opening a ream of paper and just putting a few sheets in the tray so that someone else can refill it later. The trays are designed to hold a full ream, people. And if you think you can't fan a full ream? Well, for pity's sake. I have incredibly small hands and I can manage it. Just put the blasted thing on the table and do it that way. Sheesh.

Annoying work thing #2: Leaving random things on my desk. I'm not a terribly territorial person, really. If I'm not around anyone's welcome to use this desk. Just... please. Take your stuff with you when you're done. And if it's something that you've left there on purpose because I need to have a look at it? Leave a note. Let me know that it concerns me, and it's amazing how quickly I get out of p.o'd mode.

Annoying work thing #3: Chair stacking. We have a theatre (just a room, really) with removable seats. In other words, we have a lot of chairs that frequently have to be moved when the room's being used for things other than theatre-ness. To do this we have chair dollies. Simple rule: chairs get stacked on dollies; ten chairs to a stack. You'd be amazed at how many people around here seem to have no concept of either the number ten or stacking on dollies rather than just the floor. It's enough to make you wonder, really. Wonder about a lot of things. Like why I seem to spend so much of my life moving stupidly-stacked chairs.

Annoying thing #4: The office supply black hole. How can we possibly go through so many correction pens? Or pens in general? Or scissors (yes, really. Scissors)? I'd almost wonder if we had a pack rat, if pack rats lived here. And for those of my two fans who think I'm being metaphorical here, I'm not. I mean a real pack rat. It's less fun to call them bushy-tailed wood rats.

Annoying thing #5: Rolling the planetarium tent. No point in describing this one, because you really have to be there. Google "mobile planetarium" if you want to get the idea, though.

Aaaaaaaaaanyway. Time for me to get back to being annoyed at work, I guess. The list, as you can see, is very, very much niggly, and I don't want you to get the idea that I storm around here constantly thinking that I work with idiots. Ok, well, occasionally I do, but then everyone has their days, right? Besides, it's usually about then that I'll end up doing something stupid, so it all equals out in the end.

Except with the phtoocopier. Will you lot stop it with the photocopier, already?



Sheesh.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails