Friday 6 January 2012

Purple hat

Today's fuzzy (I was too lazy to try again with the flash on) not-entirely-pointless photo was taken a few minutes ago. And yes, it's of a purple beret on my desk.

Along with a few of the other weird things on my desk, yes, but we're not here to talk about that today.

What we're here to talk about (such as it is), is the purple hat.

I wore the hat to work today. It's warm, and it was a little chilly this morning (BUT STILL NOTHING TO COMPLAIN ABOUT. I sooo don't want to take any chances with jinxing our current weather).

I've been wearing this particular hat for years. That's not particularly unusual -- I have lots of hats I've worn for years. Besides, berets don't typically go too far out of style; especially not when they're warm woollen hats on a January morning.

What's maybe a little more unusual about this hat (besides the fact that I'm blathering about it) is that it was a gift.

A gift from my brother.

He was in grad school then, and he'd gone to Quebec with his supervising prof. I certainly wasn't expecting him to bring me back anything, and I definitely wouldn't have expected a purple beret.

I didn't think he'd've noticed, you see. He managed to kill two birds with one stone.

I had a couple of Marks & Spencer (from the short time that there were Marks & Spencers in Canada) berets I was wearing pretty regularly back in those days, you see. Not so much as a fashion statement, although they went pretty well with the time, but as a handy hat on the days when it was chilly enough to want something on my head but not necessarily warranting full-on toqueage. I still have them around somewhere, but I haven't worn them for a long time because they fit a little tighter than I'd probably want them to now. Erm, not that my head has swelled or anything. They were just meant to sit a bit higher than I'd generally bother with now that my hair's no longer permed to the hilt and teased over to the side.

Ah, the early nineties.




Sorry, where was I?

Oh yeah. So I had these berets in regular rotation anyway, and when my brother came back with a beret from Quebec (a French beret, even...) it was pretty cool. AND...

It was purple.

A purple hat.

No, that's a good thing.

I've always been a purple type, and while I've grown away from always wearing purple (some of us purple people do that, believe it or not) I'm still drawn to purple clothing. And what's a better purple accent than a purple hat, really?



Anyway. This isn't really going anywhere, if any of my two fans thought it was (after all, it's a well known fact that if the blog comes to a point it will turn into a pumpkin). I just thought when I put on the purple hat today that my brother might be surprised, shocked, or mortified -- not sure which -- to find out that it's still part of the regular routine when I'm not wearing doofy hats that I've knitted myself.

The world might be pretty thankful for the purple hat, come to think of it...

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

I believe purple is the Queen Mum's favorite. Its a color for royalty isn't it. She also favors brilliant royal blue. I love turquoise. Any greenie blue will turquoise will do. Hats never fit. I have a huge head.

Related Posts with Thumbnails