Saturday 7 January 2012

Chapter 1497: Wherein Dee has managed to completely forget what it was she was going to talk about

I hate that, you know. I woke up with an actual topic in mind for a change, had it somewhat planned out, and somewhere along the line it's completely disappeared. You know, kind of like a snowman that's been ploughed into by a garbage truck, and now all that's to be seen is the leftover tire track.

Aha! She actually manages to tie in the pointless photo! Saves me from trying to explain why I was taking pictures of garbage truck tracks in the back alley, at least. That'd just be a weird thing to do, otherwise.

Um, anyway. I've tried my usual tricks to get my brain back to its original thought (read that as: I've done the laundry and played several rounds of a mah jongg solitaire variant. Oh, and don't bother looking for my high score; I don't have a Facebook account) but apparently it's not going to come back to me until sometime shortly after I go to bed tonight.

I've really got to start writing things down.

Ah well. I suppose in lieu of what was no doubt going to be a fascinating discussion about something that most people couldn't give a flying rat's bum about, I suppose I could tell those new to the program why I don't have a Facebook account...

I didn't want one. The end.





Ok, there's a little more to it than that. For one thing, it's not the way I tend to use the computer. Yes, I know that the world today is all about social networking and I do plenty of that at work, but in my own personal computing time I don't really care if I'm connecting with the people I went to kindergarten with. I kind of like maintaining that thin shell of pseudoanonymity (as in, I've no doubt that I'm easy to track down if you really want to track me down. I'm not exactly shrouded in a veil of secrecy) that just being deeol gives me.

Thing number two: I don't have a computer at home and I don't own a smartphone, so other than the times when I'm at work or here at my father's place my account would be massively, boringly inactive. And yes, I know that there are plenty of accounts out there like that. I've just never felt like I need to add to the boredom. Kind of makes a person wonder why I blog, I suppose, but at this point it's more out of habit than anything.

Thing number three: The first person who showed up in the brief time (we're talking less-than-a-half-an-hour brief, here) that I very tentatively had a Facebook account a few years ago was someone that I didn't really want to have show up. There was no friending or anything involved; it was just a name I didn't need to see. I don't need that kind of networking in my life.

Thing number four: I waste enough time as it is.



The problem is, though, work. Like I said above, I do some of the business social networking at work, and we've noticed over the years that it's becoming increasingly valuable. There's only so much I can do with Twitter and the work blog, however, and since I don't have a Facebook account I never have anything to do with the Facebook side of things. I probably should.

Dammit.

I'm thinking of starting a Facebook account, aren't I?

Which means that I probably will. Dammit.





Oh, and in case anyone out there wondered, I've enjoyed the same amount of hand-wringing over both blogging and tweeting in the past. Seems to be a pattern, doesn't it?

Aaanyway. It's lunch time, so I'm just going to post this ramble and be done with it. Actual topic? Maybe tomorrow, if I remember it. Facebook account? Hopefully not by tonight.







Anyone out there know anyone who's on Google+, maybe? Yeah, didn't think so.

1 comment:

Sparroweye said...

Third times the charm. I believe those are daffodils in my yard which are trying to commit hari kari in the snow.

Related Posts with Thumbnails